Am I Developing a Polly Beak Deformity?

I Had Open Rhinoplasty 8 Months Ago,I Used To Have A Big Deviated Concave Nose So I Had The Surgery..I Had The Cast Off 1 Month Post The surgery ,The Shape Was Great! The Time Passed By, Its Been 9 Months , My Nose Changed Shape , It Gone Worse , My Bridge Is Great , But I Have Problems When It Comes To The Nose Tip ,its frustrating! am i developping a polly beak deformity? or is it just swelling? shud i consider revision? my surgeon is against steroids injection,wat shud i do? thanks in advance

Polly Beak Deformity

+1

In my opinion you do have a pollybeak deformity, which is best described as fullness above the nasal tip.  It also appears as if the nasal dorsum was taken down a little low.  I would recommend a steroid injection into the area of the pollybeak and a little more time before making a final impression.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pollybeak

+1

It looks more like you have an over treated bridge rather thana true pollybeak deformity.  This can be treated by a dorsal onlay to raise your dorsum a bit.

Polybeak after rhinoplasty.

+1

Yes, you have a polybeak and a bridge that is too low. This can be corrected with septal or ear cartilage grafts. Make sure you see a very experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon to do this!

What's the treatment for Polly Beak deformity after rhinoplasty

+1

Polly Beak Deformity is fullness immediately above the nasal tip, which can occur after rhinoplasty. There are two broad causes for this deformity. The first common cause is under excision of the dorsum of the nose immediately above the nasal tip. The second cause is poor nasal tip projection, which gives the appearance that the nasal dorsum is too high. 

In looking at your pictures, it appears that your nasal tip is not projected far enough, which is causing a polly beak. I notice an additional problem of over resection of the upper part of the nasal dorsum. I find the over reduction of the upper dorsum to be more of an aesthetic problem than the poorly projected nasal tip.

Your choices are to have the dorsum augmented with a filler such as Restylane or Radiesse, or having a revision surgery to increase the nasal tip projection and augment the upper dorsum. Obviously, the revision surgery will be more involved in terms of risk, recovery, and cost. However, a revision surgery is the only wayto address your concerns in a permanent way.

A polly beak after rhinoplasty?

+1

The term polly beak is a very old term used perhaps 25 years ago to describe a full area on the bridge just above the tip of the nose. The image is of a parrot beak with a downward curve toward the tip, also called a ram's tip. Now we tend to keep animals out of the discussion and refer to 'supra-tip' fullness. The cause can vary, under projection of the tip, under reduction of the cartilage of the lower bridge, or over reduction of the upper or bony bridge which I think may be what is troubling you. Revision with a graft over the bridge may improve your result.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty

Polly Beak deformity

+1

You do have polly beak deformity and the reason your nasal dorsum looks good one month post op. is due to swelling. Once the swelling has gone down, the polly beak deformity shows itself. I recommend you have steroid injection and if you didn't see improvement, then may consider filler injection on the upper part of the  dorsum or alternatively revision rhinoplasty with an experienced surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgery4you.com

Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is this a Polly Beak Deformity

+1

Yes, you do have a polly beak deformity. After careful examination, a good revision rhinoplasty surgeon will explain the treatment alternatives. Wait another 3-4 months for surgery, but you can start to investigate your options.

Polly Beak Deformity After Rhinoplasty Can Develop Months After Surgery

+1

The simple answer to your question is yes, you do have a polly beak deformity after your rhinoplasty. With such a large hump removal, and now collapse of the middle vault, there is now apparent fullness in the supratip area. While steriod injections can still be done at 9 months after surgery, they would have had a better chance to be effective if done much earlier. It is now time to wait another 3 months to get to the year anniversary of your surgery. At that point, you can discuss revisional rhinoplasty which he/she may be more amenable to do.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyrhinoplasty.com/

Best Treatment for Pollybeak Deformity After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Alex,

It appears that you have had quite a bit of your nasal dorsum removed at the time of your rhinoplasty.  It also appears that  you are developing a polly beak deformity of your lower dorsum.  At about 12 months post rhinoplasty you may consider revision rhinoplasty.  An alternative is to have filler injections to build up the deficiency in your dorsum.  You should discuss your concerns and these matters with your rhinoplasty surgeon.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

? polly-beak deformity after rhinoplasty.

+1

Your 1-month post-op photograph shows a good result, but now your nose appears to have a collapse of the upper lateral cartilages in combination with a slight supratip fullness (subcutaneous scar tissue causing a "polly-beak" deformity) that actually looks worse because of the middle-third collapse.

Steroid injection can help reduce the supratip scar tissue, but correction of the mid-nose collapse may require more surgery. Consult with your surgeon about your options, and rely on his examination, expertise, and previous experience with your tissues more than our impressions here, which are meant only to be guidelines! Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/html/nose-surgery.html

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon