Columella Looks Really Droopy After Rhinoplasty

I had a Rhinoplasty to reduce the hump and refine the tip. My main concern was the hump. He did a fairly good job there, but the split has only been removed yesterday and it's swollen! But the columella (it was open rhinoplasty) looks droopy since stitches have been removed. The scar is visible and it looks horrendous to me. I'm not sure whether this is just swelling (since it had been cut and stitched up and feels rock solid) or if its always going to be like this now. Can you please advise me?

Don't evaluate rhinoplasty so soon

+3

Your splint just came off yesterday, it is too soon to evaluate the results. The scar is almost NEVER an issue, so don't worry. It is swollen. If it looked the right size now, it would be too small when all the swelling went down. The hard feeling is very normal and will take a long time to go away. The columella will be the last part to return to normal. Advice: let nature take its course. You will heal and it will improve. It is way to soon to try and evaluate your rhinoplasty.

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Be patient with the recovery after rhinoplasty

+1

There are so many changes that occur in the first few days and weeks after rhinoplasty, it's best to be prepared to wait before assessing the outcome.  Of course, close follow-up with your surgeon is important since they will want to be sure you are not having any acute issues with bleeding or infection in the early post-operative period.  Expect the nose to be quite swollen a week after open rhinoplasty and that the nose may even look 'strange'.  There will be rapid improvement in swelling in the next couple of weeks and it will be acceptable.  However, expect you may see some significant changes (and likely improvement!) up to a year out.  Before surgery, your surgeon should explain to you what to expect and how and when you will see results.  Choose a surgeon who is experienced and even focuses on this type of surgery.

Christopher Cote, MD
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

It's too soon to evaluate your results after Rhinoplasty.

+1

When the splint is removed, along with the stitches at one week after surgery, everyone looks a bit weird. There is so much swelling, that the front view is invariably wide, and unrefined.

The tip and columella remain swollen the longest. This will settle down over the next few weeks, so don't worry and try to enjoy your new nose.

Best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Horrendous Columellar Scar

+1

The scar of a columella (after open rhinoplasty) should appear as an inverted 'V' line and the edges of the skin should be at the same level. If it is just swollen then it will certainly settle down. If the skin edges are not aligned (like a stepoff deformity) then it will need to be corrected, and can be done easily. In any case, it will turn out good.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is too early to tell!

+1

The columella is the most dependent portion of your nose. As such, the swelling will remain there the longest before disappearing.

A nose can take over a year to recover from rhinoplasty. I would ask your surgeon about swelling control measures such as massage, tip taping, and possible steroid injection.

As it is very early in your recovery, I wouldn't worry too much.

Good luck.

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Three weeks before comments please

+1

We have a rule in our office and that is I cannot address any comments about a result until three weeks have passed.  It is not worth any anxiety to focus on something that is certain to change in the days ahead.  Be patient and do not be critical of an early post op appearance (not yet a results)

Richard Gentile, MD
Youngstown Facial Plastic Surgeon