Obvious Nose Asymmetry Normal After Rhinoplasty?

Is it normal for a nose to look obviously asymmetrical and for one nostril to be higher and larger than the other 7 weeks after Rhinoplasty? Is this type of asymmetry normal? Is there hope to fix this and if so how soon and does anyone have an idea of the cost?

Nostril asymmetry

+3

Anon,

Nasal asymmetry can be present after rhinoplasty. Some of it may have been pre-existent. Some of it may be a result of asymmetric swelling. At this point in your recovery it is too soon to be critical of your result. Give it a few more months for the swelling to subside and skin to contract before seeking a correction. Most of us won't touch a nose for revision until one year after the first surgery. Good luck!

Rhinoplasty; Is Obvious Asymmetry Normal 7 Weeks After Surgery?...Only if Picasso is Your Surgeon

+2

Hi Anon,

It is not normal to have "obvious" nasal asymmetry and uneven nostrils 7 weeks post-rhinoplasty unless your surgeon is named Picasso. Yes, very few of us are perfectly symmetric, but it sounds like you have more than just a little asymmetry.

Should you be dissatisfied with your rhinoplasty result 6 to 12 months after your surgery, then you should consider revision rhinoplasty. There is hope to fix your nose.

Surgeon's revision policies vary. In my practice, I will revise my patient's surgery within 2 years without my surgeon's fee. The patient is responsible for the cost of the operating room and the anesthesiologist fees.

If you choose to have a different surgeon perform your revision, then expect to pay the usual fees for a rhinoplasty.

I hope that your nose settles over the next few months and that you will not require another surgery. Be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Nostril asymmetry after Rhinoplasty

+1

Every face and nose is asymmetric. Following surgery it is normal to study every detail of one's face or nose. Pre existing differences are forgotten or overlooked.

Swelling and the healing process can uncover or accentuate subtle differences.

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon, review your preop photos with the surgeon, and most importantly, have patience and wait 6- 12 months before any revision surgery. Many times healing will correct the problem.

Good Luck!

Richard L. Dolsky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

7 weeks is too soon to judge your final result after rhinoplasty.

+1

You're still very early in the post-operative stages of healing, so slight imperfections may just be due to swelling. There is nothing emergent to do at this time; certainly let your surgeon know of your concerns.

Best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric After Rhinoplasty

+1

If we look carefully, there is always asymmetry in even the best looking noses. After surgery swelling may go down faster on one side than the other, and the differences narrow over time. It should take 6-12 months for the swelling to diminish. If after that time there is still marked asymmetry then you should meet with your surgeon and consider whether any further steps are necessary.

Ira D. Papel, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

More likely swelling at this point

+1

Asymmetric nostrils at two months post-op is still more likely swelling than anything else. Most patients have nostril asymmetry to begin with and this is often exaggerated after surgery. If it is still asymmetric at 4-6 months, then you can consider a revision. I would wait at least 6 and maybe 12 months after your surgery before doing a revision. The cost is extremely variable. Your surgeon will likely give you an estimate of the cost based on where you live, what type of anesthesia, operating facility, etc. Good luck.

Sirish Maddali, MD

Nasal asymmetry

+1

Nasal asymmetry is the norm.  You most likely had some before your surgery and are just a bit more aware of it now as you examine your nose after surgery. Give it some time, it may also be due to swelling.

It is too soon to say.

+1

This is usually due to swelling and will return to normal in 6-12 months. Be patient and if you are still concerned after that time, return to your surgeon or get a second opinion from an experienced revision rhinoplasty expert.