Is This Bump After Rhinoplasty my Bone?

I had the bump on my nose shaved down (closed Rhinoplasty) and cartilage added to the tip of my nose to give it a pointy shape. I was very happy with my nose after the removal of the splint which was 3 days after surgery and I kept taping my nose. For 7 days, my nose was slightly swollen but it looked perfect--no bump at all. Now it has been 14 days and I see a slight bump where it was originally removed. It feels hard as bone.

Is this bump my bone? Is that the bump that was there but due to the swelling I didn't see it? Could it possible that it's still swelling? It's hard as bone. Please help. I feel depressed.

Early bumps may be part of the healing after rhinoplasty

+6

When bumps on the nose are "shaved" in surgery, the bone is stimulated. This is just like breaking any bone in your body.

When bones first heal, they form a "callus." This callus then gets smaller over a few months time until the bone is smooth.

So, I wouldn't be concerned about a persistent bump this early. You should really wait at least 6 months or more before becoming concerned. Time is your best friend right now.

Bump is most likely healing

+5

Give this time. As bones heal they often form more bone at the fracture site with the intial healing provcess. This may make the area seem more prominent. With time the extra fullness is reorganized and the bump tends to subside.

Early Bump After Rhinoplasty Should Resolve With Massage

+4

Thank you for your question. It is very common to feel irregularities on the nasal bridge soon after Rhinoplasty. Most of these resolve with time. I find massage to be helpful but check with your surgeon before doing massage.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Be Patient

+4

Lots of early changes and swelling can cover slightly underdone results.  It is going to change with time.  In my 22 years of experience as a Rhinoplasy surgeon nearly all procedures that appeared "underdone initially" were fine as time went by.

Be patient and let yourself heal without stress.

Richard Gentile, MD
Youngstown Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal hump

+4

Anon,

Don't obsess at this point in time. You are still VERY early in your healing and recovery process. The bump that you are seeing is likely just a callous or scar tissue forming where the bone was shaved down. Over time the callous will settle down and your bump will likely flatten, especially if that's what you saw just after the splint was removed. Relax for now, give it at least 6 months and good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Time will declare the true nature of the bump

+3

The nose bump is caused by cartilage and bone. The bone generally needs to be rasped and the cartilage needs to be shaved. It will take several months to see the final results of the nasal dorsum. Have your surgeon look at the area of your concern and work together during this time of healing.

Don't be depressed. If there is something that is not quite right it can be corrected. Don't try to hurry the correction until everything is well healed and you are sure of the final results.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Recovery: Post-Op Bump on Bridge

+3

Give it a little time. When surgeons rasp (file down) a hump on the bridge of the nose, it will typically remain swollen for several weeks afterward. Your surgeon should be able to tell you whether or not the amount of swelling is normal.

Following a hump removal during a rhinoplasty, it is very common for there to be excessive swelling over the central portion of the nasal bridge overlying the area where the boney hump was removed. This area often appears more swollen that the rest of the bridge and can remain swollen for several months. As a result, patients frequently worry that the bump will be permanent.

If the bone was adequately reduced, that bump should disappear as the swelling subsides over the first several months. Be Patient

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal bump

+2

You must be patient.  The healing process, after rhinoplasty, takes 12-18 months.   There is not anything to do that speds up the process.  Many patients, like you, are anxious for the final result.  Hang in there

Rodger Wade Pielet, MD (in memoriam)

Nasal hump

+2

If you like the way it looks that is great! I always tell patients that they may feel slight irregularities under the skin that is common. As long as it doesn't show up on visualization then I think it is acceptable. If it bothers them, then I can always go back at a later time to attempt to soften the irregularity. Be patient it may be nothing.

14 days is too soon to judge a bump on your nose after Rhinoplasty.

+2

There is so much nasal swelling 14 days after Rhinoplasty, so try not to feel depressed. Swelling can be quite firm at 2 weeks, so patience is important.

Certainly express your concerns to your surgeon who will be able to give you the best advice.

Best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon