Is It Okay to Get Rhinoplasty, Breast Lift, and Liposuction at the Same Time?

I would like to get those three procedures done sometime this year. I want a little bit of lipo on my stomach, a breast lift, and a rhinoplasty. Is it safe to get all three done at same time so I'm not under anesthesia multiple times?

Combining Surgical Procedures

+2

Combining surgical procedures is very common, but it must be done judiciously. I commonly perform long, combined cases but only if I deem that it is safe for the particular patient. I think it is very reasonable to perform a rhinoplasty, mastopexy and liposuction together...as long as it is a small volume of liposuction.

Combining procedures

+2

I believe it is okay to combine these procedures if the lipo is not very extensive. Generally, I like to limit surgery to about six hours per setting, otherwise I would split them up.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

+2

Combining different procedures is common practice for different reasons, the main one being that patients want to take advantage of their time off and recovery period and get several problems out of the way in one shot.  However, certain criteria have to be met, including but not limited to the patient's health, comfort level of the surgeon carrying out these procedures on the same patient, length of the surgery, credibility of the facility and the anesthesiologist for lengthy procedures, etc.  If all of these criteria are satisfactorily met then yes it is okay to have multiple procedures done at the same time.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Multiple procedures

+1

The key is not to exceed 5-5.5 hours in the OR.  Many reputable surgicenters will not permit ambulatory cases which take longer than this because of accreditation rules.  There can be a big variation as to the time which each procedure will take so general answers are not going to be terribly helpful.  You should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.  There is a slightly higher risk of infection when nasal surgery is combined with breast augmentation and this is worth mentioning in the event that you opt for implants.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Multiple Procedures in One Day?

+1

You certainly can do all of those together but it is a big day. It really depends on your health as well. I would recommend that you stay overnight. The longer the surgery and anesthesia the more groggy and out of it you will be after the case. You can have your pain controlled with IV medication and get nausea medication if needed. What you really need to know is if this surgery can be completed in a reasonable amount of time that is safe for you. I do 6-8 hour cases all of the time in patients and they do just fine. So, assess with your surgeon your position and see what they think. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Safety of multiple procedures

+1

Thank you for your question about rhinoplasty, breast lift and liposuction at the same time,

• You are correct to have these done together.
  • Many people combined multiple cosmetic procedures into one operation.
  • If you are healthy, and surgery time is 6 hours or less, the anesthesia is not a concern.
  • You will have one recovery, pay less and be able to quickly enjoy your results.
  • Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Safe to have multiple procedures at the same time?

+1

Thank you for your question.  This is a common question and one that can be quite important.  When patients consider multiple procedures under the same anesthetic, it is usually because of concerns for cost savings and to prevent the need for taking extra time off of work.  The most imperative consideration from the surgeon's point of view is one of safety.  All the procedures you mentioned are typically outpatient procedures, where you go home the same day.  For safety reasons, most surgeons will try to keep the total anesthetic time under 5-6 hours when you will be returning home the same day of surgery. To answer your question, yes, these procedures can all be done under one anesthetic.  Another consideration on behalf of the surgeon is how long each one of these procedures will take them.  Not all rhinoplasty surgeries are equal and the same goes for breast lifts and liposuction.  They can take a variable amount of time, depending on how much work needs to be done.  Choose your plastic surgeon wisely and ask him or her how long they anticipate each procedure will take, based on what you need.  I would much rather have a surgeon take his or her time and potentially have 2 surgeries rather than be rushed trying to do too much at once.  

Best of luck.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Multiple procedure question

+1

Hi raelanicrown8

thanks for the question. Yes, a rhinoplasty, breast lift and lipo can be safely done at the same time. As long as you are healthy and have no significant health problems, it should be fine. Generally, any procedure under 6 hours is considered safe to do as an out patient. For longer procedures, it is better to have this done either in a hospital overnight, or to break the procedures into multiple stages. 

Remember you need to be as healthy as possible going into surgery: eat healthy, take a daily multivitamin,  no smoking, no aspirin or motrin, and hold your birth control ( if you take any). Preoperative testing such as bloodwork is typically required before surgery. 

best to you. 

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, Breast Lift and Liposuction

+1

Sure you can. In my past, I did as much as I could in 5 hours of operating time. Keep in mind that all surgeons operate at a different pace.Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon of your choice. All the best.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD (retired)

Having liposuction, breast uplift and rhinoplasty in the same time ?

+1

It is not uncommon to have multiple surgical procedures done in the same setting. The advantage is not only to reduce time in the operating room and receive less anesthetics, it also shorten the total recovery time and make the cosmetic surgery more affordable. I usually perform rhinoplasties under sedation and then we put the patient to sleep for breast uplift and liposuction. These combinations usually takes 4-5 hours and are done as out patient in the certified surgery centers quite safely. 

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon