I Had Liposuction I Am 3 Weeks Post Op. The Compression Garment is Uncomfortable Any Alternatives?

I had liposuction on my hips, stomach, lower and upper back. I am 3 weeks post op. The compression garment is really uncomfortable. I doctor suggest wearing it for 6 weeks. Is this neccessary or is there any other option?

Do I have to wear my compression garment? It's uncomfortable

+2

It's a good idea after liposuction to wear a compression garment for at least 6 weeks post-operatively. Ask your surgeon when he feels it's OK for you to wear Spanx.  ac

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Uncomfortable compression garment

+2

As your swelling goes down, the garment will no longer fit properly.  If your doctor recommended wearing one for 6 weeks, then return to his office to be fitted for a second stage one and also inquire whether you can use an store bought product.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Liposuction garment

+2

Thank you for your question about your liposuction and the garment.

• It is common at this point to need a different kind of garment.
  • Your surgeon's office can order a zipperless second stage liposuction garment.
  • Or you can buy support wear such as Spanx.
  • Call your surgeon's office for his/her suggestions.
  • Yes - a support garment for 6 weeks after liposuction gives you your best result as early as possible. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Use the Liposuction Compression Garment to Your Advantage!

+1

At the Cosmetic Surgery Center of Maryland, we recommend the patient wear the compression garment at all times for the first 4 weeks. Following that, the patient can reduce to wearing the garment only during that day, or as tolerated. Another alternative to the compression garment is Spanx, another body shaping undergarment, which is slightly more comfortable; this is usually found in most department stores. However, I believe that the long-wearing of the garment is more beneficial and only helps in molding and increasing your results. Continuous wear of the garment will also help to avoid edema from occurring. Edema is the collection of fluid that can sometimes reside in the soft tissues; therefore, it creates a fuller look than the patient actually has. I believe that the garment can prevent swelling just the same as an Ace bandage. If you were to take the Ace bandage off a swollen ankle, the ankle would begin to swell again. When properly applied, the compression garment can be supportive, comfortable, and provide for a better result. So try to tough it out as long as possible!  All the best --Dr. Cohen

Michael D. Cohen, MD