Rhinoplasty in Mexico - Worth the Risk?

Is traveling to Mexico (from Minnesota) for rhinoplasty safe? The cost is $3,500 for Mexico and $5,400 for MN. My nose is a unique Indian nose. It starts out slim, widens out, then slims in again at the tip. But most of the pics on the MN plastic surgeons websites are all Caucasian noses. Should I chance it with a nose as abnormal as mine by going abroad even though the doctor wouldn't be able to physically examine it? I feel more comfortable with getting surgery here in the U.S. but I really can't afford the $5,400+.

Rhinoplasty outside the U.S.

It is best to have your rhinoplasty performed within The United States. There are many issues to consider when traveling abroad for surgery, such as quality of anesthesia administration, safety and sterility of the surgery center where the surgery is being performed. In The United States most surgery centers are certified by an accrediting agency such as Medicare, which does not exist in other countries. Also consider the fact that there is a 10 to 20% revision rate so you may be flying down for revision work anyway a year later for touchups. $5,400 is an average price for a rhinoplasty throughout The United States.

Wait to have surgery

It's always best to have your surgery performed by someone in your area, since you can then see them easily if a complication occurs. There's also less stress involved. I usually recommend patients stay at least 2 weeks after their surgery if they do come from out of town, then find a trusted PS in their area when they return to their town.

You may want to reconsider having surgery until you can afford to have it done by someone you have more trust in.

Rhinoplasty in Mexico

You can find good surgeons throughout the world. However, with a complex case, you should allow any surgeon ample time to devise the appropriate surgical plan or you may end up with results that will not make you happy.  

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty in a Foreign Country?

Pound wise and dollar foolish!  Going to another country for surgery is fine if you know or if the surgeon has an outstanding reputation for excellence.  To go strictly to save money often proves to be a mistake.  I know of serious consequences that have occurred in people who have done this.  If you have surgery in another country, then come home and a problem develops, you will have to pay a local surgeon to manage the problem.  If re-operation is necessary, you will have to pay a local surgeon to re-operate.  There are many extraordinary rhinoplasty surgeons in the United States that can very successfully manage all types of noses.  Be careful!

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

International Rhinoplasty

It is risky to make your decision primarily for financial reasons. Over the years, when I've seen many patients with complications after surgery out of the country, they have universally regreted their decision. The ultimate cost was far greater than the original anticipated savings. Remember, I'm only one surgeon; many of my colleagues have seen similar patients.

Rhinoplasty: Price is Important but so is Your Result

One thing most qualified surgeons will agree on about Rhinoplasty: It is a very technically challenging procedure and more challenging to consistently achieve excellent results. The truth is that you may have changes in the way your nose looks for several years after the procedure. If you have problems with your Rhinoplasty or with your result in Mexico, you will have no recourse but to have an American Surgeon do the revision.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic Surgery Abroad

As the other cosmetic surgeons have already advised, there are many disadvantages to having plastic surgery outside the US. One should not take a chance on their own health and well being. Speak in-person with plastic surgeons in your area before jumping to cosmetic surgery abroad. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty outside the USA.

What if you have a problem? Who is going to see the nose for you? Are you going to pay another air fare to return there? These are only a few of the concerns. If it sounds too good to be true......

Nose jobs abroad

I would strongly recommend you save money until you are able to have surgery where you live.

As a revision rhinoplasty specialist, I have repaired several noses on patients who either lived in Mexico, or traveled there for surgery. Each time I have had to charge the patient approximately twice as much as it would cost you to have surgery in MN! In addition, I have seen some of the most difficult to fix deformities in these patients.

Again, if you have been able to save up cash, continue to do so until you can have your surgery done by someone in the US who will give you the care, attention, and postoperative attention that you deserve.

Behrooz Torkian, MD

Medical tourism

While there are excellent surgeons all over the world, I would caution you to go so far to have your surgery done,  What if there are complications how will your doctor treat you. While the price may be cheaper in the short run, you  may pay alot more in the long run.