Just had Restylane tear trough injections - how long does it take for the swelling to go down?

Had Restylane injections for the tear troughs for the first time 5 days ago and I am wondering how long it takes for the swelling to go down and the area to smooth out to the cheekbones? The injected area is raised (puffed). I also have a lump under my right eye - there was quite a good bruise on that side - and I am wondering if that will disappear too and how long it will take...

Side Effects and Swelling from Restylane Under the Eye.

+2
Swelling usually goes down in a week, bruises take one to two weeks. If a lump, unevenness or contour problems seem to be lasting much longer than that, it is possible in most cases to smooth out lumps caused by too much or too superficial injection to be dissolved with hyaluronidase. This only works for hyaluronic acid fillers. Fillers such as Radiesse will not be dissolved and many months may be needed for a significant irregularity to diminish. Thin skin around the eyes makes doing fillers a delicate job. I do like the catheters that have blunt, tapered tips now, rather than needles. They are less likely to cause bruising.

Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Restylane in tear troughs

+2
Typically the swelling will last less than a week, however 10-14 days is common as well.  Without pressure, you can apply cold compresses under your eyes to help reduce the swelling.  If you are noticing swelling after 14 days, I would schedule a follow-up appointment with your provider.  
I would set the same standard for the lump under your eye; seeing your provider if it is still there after 14 days.  

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2
Bruising and swelling is common when treating the tear troughs, I advise my patients to wait a full two weeks for the product to completely settle and bruising eliminate before seeing their final result

Swelling after tear trough injection

+2
The swelling could take up to a week to subside if there was nothing unusual such as perhaps some bleeding deep, in which case it could take up to 4-6  weeks.
the lump could suggest the latter. Discuss with your doctor.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane for tear troughs

+2
It can take 2 weeks for any swelling and bruising to subside.  If you are unhappy with your results at that time, please return to your doctor for assessment.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Swelling after Restylane

+2

Typically, it can take several days (possibly up to a few weeks) for all post-injection symptoms to dissipate.  The under eye area is extremely sensitive, so sometimes symptoms can last longer than they would in other areas of the face.  I would recommend you schedule a follow up visit with the office that provided the injections if you are still noticing after effects 10-14 days post treatment.

Benjamin Stong, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane in tear trough under Eyes

+1
The swelling of Restylane injections, especially in the tear trough area, can take up to two weeks to subside.  When you say that there was significant bruising as well I would recommend you take Arnica to help resolve the bruising faster.  

Michele S. Green, MD

Swelling after hyaluronic acid filler injections is common

+1
It is common to see swelling and bruising persist 1-2 weeks after hyaluronic acid (i.e. Restylane) filler injections to the eyelid/cheek area. I would discuss your concerns about the bump with your surgeon when you see them for a followup to see if that lump is either swelling or product that may have to be locally dissolved with hyaluronidase.  Good luck.  

Christopher I. Zoumalan, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon