Removing Red Scar from Sunburn on Nose Tip?

I had bad sunburn on my nose about 15 yrs ago, and it formed a scab and I picked the scab over and over, and the result was a red scar. The redness faded gradually, but is still there now at age 27.

After I had a Rhinoplasty 4yrs ago the redness came back, then gradually faded again. Recently I had horrible sunburn and the redness came back bigger. I have not been cleaning the area so dead skin would hide the redness, but is there any type of laser that can fix this?

IPL for red nasal skin

+2

I would suggest that you have a series of IPL treatments (photorejuvenation) to treat the redness of your nose.  I would also encourage you to become religious about sun screens!

Red scars on the nose from previous injury - pulsed dye laser and ipl

+1

Red scars can benefit from a combination treatment with IPL and pulsed dye laser, both of which we perform on a regular basis in my office. This will make the redness subside.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Biopsy First

+1

I would urge you to have a biopsy of this lesion first. It very well might be a basal cell carcinoma. Twenty-seven is not too young to have this all too common malignancy.

This growth might also be an actinic keratosis, in which case cryotherapy or a topical medication such as Carac would be cheaper, at least as effective and most likely cosmetically superior to a laser.

The biopsy itself might serve to remove the troublesome area.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist