How Can Silicone Lip Injections Be Removed?

Removing silicone from lips is not easy

+1

Silicone injections in various parts of the body has been done quite frequently all over the country.  The difficulty with silicone injections begins with the quality of the silicone itself.  I have seen many cases where industrial grade silicone has been injected inside the human body.  This can be a tremendous disaster.  Problems can include infections, granulomas, cellulitis, and persistent skin infections, disfigurement and skin dimpling.  It is very easy to have silicone injected, but very difficult to have it removed.  The removal can frequently be very complex and involved lengthy surgery. Multiple operation is not uncommon.   It is not uncommon to expect scars in locations that would otherwise be undesirable.  If you do have silicone, or are having problem with silicone that was injected by a non-healthcare provider then you should certainly seek medical attention.  Some solutions include IV antibiotics, oral antibiotics and surgery after the inflammation has subsided.  Removing the silicone is not just a cosmetic issue but also an issue of better health.  Depending on the type of silicone injected concerns with autoimmune diseases and infections are foremost.  Taking medications such as ibuprofen or cortisone is only a temporary measure.  The real solution is surgery.  Not all plastic surgeons are willing to operate on patients who have had silicone injected in their body.  Many of these cases are not covered by insurance because they were performed for cosmetic reasons.  My recommendation to anyone that has had silicone injections and wishes to have it removed, is to seek a board certified plastic surgeon who is likely willing to do more than 1 operation as well as willing to do some of these operations in a hospital setting. I have had patients visit me for removal of silicone and the discussion to proceed is never an easy one.

Silicone lip injection removal and surgery

+1

Silicone lip injections are difficult to treat.  However, I have had enormous experience with silicone lip removal along the wet mucosa of the lips.  Results are long term and outstanding. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Silicone in lips

+1

Silicone in lips is a tough problem. The idea of using a permanent product like silicone makes it difficult to remove. The reason for this, is that the silicone injects and are micro-particles of material that is very difficult to remove because it goes in many different tissue planes. Some have suggested liposuction, others have recommended direct excision of portions of the lip.