Can You Remove a Raised Mole from Your Lip with Minimal Scarring? (photo)

I have a mole on my lip that my dermatologist said was not cancerous. I have experienced Keloid scarring in the past and I am concerned that removing my mole would look worse than it does now. However, I am afraid the mole will continue to grow bigger as it has since I was much younger, so I would rather have it removed sooner rather than later. Should I leave the mole as is? Any recommendations on the procedure I should ask a plastic surgeon about? Anything I can do to minimize its apperance?

Mole removal

+1

I recommend that you see a board certified facial plastic surgeon for an evaluation and possible treatment.  It may be that shaving the mole, instead of completely excising it would be favored.

Moles on the lip are tricky to treat

+1

The least invasive way to treat lip moles are by shaving them off.  This may give good scarring but also has an increased risk of recurrence.  I have used this method frequently and have found it to be cosmetically acceptable.  There are a number of factors to consider and it is important to consult with a specialist that is experienced with this method of treatment as well as is an expert in treating the potential scar complications which can occur.

I have included a link to a similar mole removal with the shave technique

Web reference: http://www.plasticsurgerysocal.com/mole-removal.html

Scalpel "Sculpting" Is An Excellent Method for Stitchles Removal of Moles from the Lips

+1

Certainly, a history of keloid formation raises concern about performing any procedure anywhere on the skin

As a rule, the more deep the cut, the greater the likelihood of scar development. However, in general, a shave removal of a mole, which entails sculpting the lesion off flush with the surface of the lip, i.e. quite superficially, poses a more minimal risk for  scar development. The border of the red portion of the lip and the white portion may exhibit a little scar, which is likely to be far less visible and cosmetically problematic than the mole itself.

The additional advantage of sculpting the lesion off in this fashion, rather than lasering, cauterizing, or freezing is that the projecting bulk of the mole can be sent to the dermatopathology laboratory to determine under the microscope that it is completely benign. i would not recommend the use of any destructive modality that doesn't not leave a specimen that can be sent to the lab. 

Over the years, I have personally removed moles and treated other even more common problems, such as venous lakes, from the lips with excellent cosmesis, and can attest to the value of this approach in treating lip growths.  

Web reference: http://youngerlookingwithoutsurgery.com

Moles on lips

+1

can be removed safely and with minimal risk (but cannot guarantee no scar) for offensive scarring.  It is almost a certainty the resultant scar will be more acceptable than the mole.  You should see your local plastic surgeon for options and pick what would work best for you.