Is Mole Removal Safe by an Esthetician Using the Superfrecator Machine?

She offered to do it for me with a machine called Superfrecator..My friend had it done and her freckles and moles came off. There is a flesh burning smell. The freckle or mole falls off after a couple of weeks and then the skin is clear.

Doctors don't even treat moles with a Superfrecator...

+1

so why have an unlicensed individual with less training practice medicine on you...kind of goofy...I'd strongly recommend seeing your doctor and discussing your plans before carrying them out...an additional problem is the potential for scars...all of these "electric pencils" can result in significant problems with scarring and discoloration...and that's no even considering the potential disaster of burning a melanoma...now that would be a disastrous complication...

Only Doctors Should remove moles

+1

This is practicing medicine without a license and is a  dangerous practice. All pigmented moles need to be removed by a doctor - most often Family practice, dermatologist, facial plastic ENT surgeon or Plastic Surgeon. Plastic Surgeons have the most training but any of the above doctors are safe to do this. In all cases it is sent for testing to make sure it is cancerous and if it is that it was completely removed.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Absolutely Not!!! Estheticians should NOT remove moles

+1

Since any pigmented lesion has cancerous potential, moles should only be removed by a dermatologist who has the ability to submit it to a lab for evaluation, interpret the results, and treat appropriately.

Lawrence A. Osman, MD
Woodland Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Estheticians should NOT be removing moles

+1

I feel that it is never appropriate for anyone other than a physician to remove a mole. Regardless of how "benign" a mole may appear, if it is to be removed, a biopsy is necessary to make certain it is not "atypical". There are many ways to surgically remove a mole with a minimal scar and have tissue to send for microscopic examination which is the only way to ensure that it is benign.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Estheticians Are Not Physicians

+1

While many esthetician are extremely good at providing skin care advice, be very carefully about anything offered beyond this.   Estheticans are not qualified at diagnosing and treating skin lesions, such as moles. Before trying lightening creams or lasers to removed pigmented lesions from you skin, make sure you consult your dermatologist to make sure the treatment is appropriate.

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Estheticians have no business removing moles

+1

No, this is absolutely unacceptable. Estheticians are not physicians and cannot diagnosis skin. I had a patient come in with a "spot" a few years ago that an esthetician had treated for months with something like you are discussing. It was skin cancer and needed to have Mohs done, and the esthetician had told her it was just an age spot. Great work! So, no, do not entrust your esthetician to treat your moles or freckles or any abnormal marks, period. You need to see a dermatologist for proper care.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD