What Can I Expect From Recovery for Breast Implant Revision Surgery?

If I want to get my breast implants redone, and go up about 100 cc's, what is the recovery like for this type of procedure? I am under the muscle currently and figured it wouldn't be quite as bad since I am already stretched? Thanks so much for your input!

Breast Implant Revision Surgery and Recovery Time?

+3

Yes, you are correct.  Revisionary breast surgery  that you describe is generally  associated with very minimal recovery time/discomfort, compared to first-time breast augmentation surgery.  This is because the submuscular pocket has already been dissected/stretched.

What Can I Expect Frm Recovery for Breast Implant Revision Surgery?Answr:

+2

In most cases of straightforward implant exchange (same location, same incision,little to no capsule work) then the recovery should be really pretty easy. A little sore at the incision and very little implant pain. You should be surprised at how good you feel. It will be nowhere near like your first experience, and in fact, you may want to do it several times a year!!!....just kidding....

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Recovery From Redoing An Augmentation

+2

The first time around breast augmentation can be a bit tough, especially if the implants are placed under the muscle. A revision is usually dramatically easier in the recovery, but that's not the case all the time. It really depends on the exact nature of the revision as that term can encompass many different things. Your surgeon will be able to give you a detailed answer.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast implant revision with larger implants

+2

You are correct that you might have less pain with your surgery, since the muscles are stretched. You do not state if you have any issues with your current implants or just want to up size. Depending on your height and weight, 100cc larger implants will make you go up at least 1/2 cup size. See a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person consultation and evaluation. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Recovery time for breast implant revision

+2

You are correct that implant revision surgery is typically much easier than the first augmentation recovery. Because the muscle and pocket are already lifted/created a simple implant removal and replacement takes about an hour even if you increase the size a bit. Most patients at my Austin, Texas plastic surgery practice feel quite good even just a day or two later. If the capsule requires some modification then that can hurt a bit but again minimal in my experience. Good luck! Dr Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Recovery for Revision Augmentation?

+1
Thank you for your post.
Yes, in a revision where we are only going larger, and staying in the same space with the implant, there is minimally recovery needed.  Usually the incision is re-openned, and the pocket were the implant sits adjusted slightly to accomodate the larger implant.  If, however, the pocket is too wide and needs to be sutured down (a capsulorraphy) then the recovery process is extended.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

BBA

+1

It really depends on a few factors. Adequate pain control is likely the most important. Individual pain tolerance differs greatly. I find that women who have had children generally have less post-op pain, as they have a much higher pain tolerance. From a surgical point of view, there are several things the surgeon/anaesthesiologist can do to decrease your post-op pain.

I generally perform breast blocks prior to making any incisions with a mix of short- and long-acting local anaesthetics. I have found this greatly reduces post-op pain. I also encourage patients to take the prescribed pain killers regularly every 4 hours especially for the first 24-48 hours. If you don't stay on top of the pain in the immediate post-operative period, it is extremely difficult to "catch-up". Most of my patients experience very little post-op pain after breast augmentation.

Of course, the type of augmentation you have will also determine your post-operative discomfort. Larger implants, and subpectoral implant placement will also increase post-op discomfort. This doesn't mean you shouldn't get large implants, or place them under the muscle - you simply need to know what to expect. Many women also experience difficulty with sleeping in the first few weeks after augmentation due to the weight of the implants on their chest. This is more significant in back-sleepers.

To answer your question about time off work, my experience has been that there is a huge range. I have patients that go back to work the next day (against my advice), and I have had patients take as much as 2 weeks off of work. It really depends on what you do for work, and how you feel. As for taking care of your kids, if your implant is placed under the muscle, it will be a few weeks before you feel comfortable enough to pick them up.

As for scars, I tell patients it will take a year to see the absolute final result. Practically, however, by 3-6 months the scar will be very close to the final result. I suggest 3M paper taping, and have a specific scar massage protocol I use to help speed scar resolution.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Expected Recovery from Breast Implant Revision

+1

Post-Operative Healing following Breast revision varies from patient to patient and recovery recommendations also vary among different plastic surgeons - Best advice is to ask your surgeon his recommendations.
Below is what is typical for my practice.
Revision surgery is much less painful than your original surgery.
This is an outpatient surgery and you will probably go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines.
In my practice - Sutures are dissolvable but the ending knot is removed within 1-2 weeks.
Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days and return to work for light duty 1-2 weeks following surgery

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Expected recovery after subpectoral implant revision

+1

Depending on your chest wall circumference, increasing your implants 100 cc's will increase you anywhere from 1/2 or 1 cup size.  This is a very small improvement.  You do not describe any other reason for wanting to have your implants redone.  If you want a lift done at the same time, that will add to the recovery as well.  However, if all they are doing is going through the old incisions, adding 100 cc's to your current implants or replacing them with 100 cc larger ones will have minimal recovery time.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant revision recovery varies

+1

Depends entirely on what needs to be done.  If all you need is to upsize with otherwise no problems, there is exceptionally little recovery.  If you have capsular contractures or need pocket repairs, the recovery goes up. Good luck.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS