Recommended Age for Breast Augmentation?

I just turned 18 and would love to get Breast implants before college because I am a nearly an A at this point and the rest of my body is not small so I am disproportional.

I am about 5'6 and 128 lbs. I am very active and work hard on my figure but feel I will never be fully satisfied unless I get a breast augmentation. My family members and friends are unsure of the surgery; however, I know that this is absolutely the right decision for me.

Make an informed decision on breast augmentation

+2

As discussed in other answers, for cosmetic breast augmentation (not breast reconstruction such as asymmetric breasts) you must be 18 yrs old for saline implants. The FDA has approved the use of silicone implants, but you must be 22 yrs old. So now as an adult, you have an important decision and should evaluate all the options. If you do not have a lot of breast tissue, silicone implants generally give a softer more natural look.

Silcone implants have undergone intense study and have been proven to be safe. You need to discuss all of the risks and benefits of each of these devices with your surgeon. But you need to decide if it is worth it to you to wait 4 years before undergoing the procedure? Also understand that breast implants are not a lifelong device. As you get older, your breasts continue to undergo the aging process. So it is very likely that you will need an exchange of the implants, with or without a breast lift.

There is no correct answer. The most important thing is that you get all the information and feel good about your decision. Maybe you can even educate your family and friends and they will feel better as well. Good luck.

Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Recommended Age for Breast Augmentation

+1
There is no age limit for breast augmentation. However, most surgeons will not perform breast augmentation unless the woman has achieved full breast development. Consult with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

+1
In regards to timing of the operation, this will vary from one patient to another and is a decision that should be individualized. If you have reached your physical “maturity”, proceeding with surgery should not be a problem. Parenteral or guardian consent will be necessary for patients under the age of 18.
 At some point, seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly.  In my practice, I find the use of goal pictures helpful during this communication process.
 I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Recommended age for breast augmentation?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. Breast augmentation is a procedure often sought by women to increase size, add upper pole fullness and projection along with improve shape and symmetry of her breasts. Women who have the breast augmentation done report increased self-confidence, self-esteem, and more comfortable with her body. In fact, it has been the most popular procedure in plastic surgery in the US for the past few years. Many surgeons use 18 years of age as the standard for when to offer the breast augmentation procedure to women. Maturity and the ability to make an educated decision for yourself of whether this procedure is the right one for you as well as factors regarding implant choice, size, incision placement, position of the implant, other adjunct procedures, etc are major factors. Having the maturity to understand all of the risks and benefits of the surgical procedure is also mandatory - thus, most are readily able to comprehend this at that age. 23 years of age is the FDA guideline for utilization of silicone implants.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon well-versed in this procedure. Research your surgeon's education, training, as well as ability to perform this procedure. See postoperative photographs and most importantly choose the one who you feel most comfortable with and competent to meet your expectations. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Age & Breast Augmentation Surgery

+1
Being disproportional is definitely something that is distressing at any age.The break between high school and college is a good time to consider breast augmentation to solve this issue and to give you confidence as you embark on this new phase of your life.Just make sure that you leave yourself enough healing time after surgery before you start school so that no one would notice something was wrong.Four to six weeks would be ideal for the early healing to be over with.The one drawback of doing your surgery now is that if you have it before you turn 19 then the implant manufacturers will not honor their warranty.Their warranty states specifically that you must be 19 years of age or older at implantation.If you meet their criteria then they will replace the implants for your lifetime if they rupture.If there is a rupture in the first ten years then they will cover a part of the cost of the surgery.You would void the warranty if you have your surgery done right now.Just make sure to take all of this into consideration as you plan your surgery.

Marie E. Montag, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Current Guidelines for the Earliest Age for Cosmetic Breast Augmentation is 18 Years of Age

+1

Current guidelines for the earliest age for cosmetic breast augmentation utilizing saline implants is 18 years of age.  The FDA restricts the use of silicone implants to patients 22 years of age or older. 

Some young women under the age of 18 undergo placement of breast implants for reconstructive purposes.  This would be in the case of significant breast asymmetry (unevenness) or other developmental problems.

It is important that the breasts have stopped growing.  It is also very important that the patient have the proper emotional maturity to fully understand the procedure and the potential risks and changes that will occur. 

Many women are satisfied with the size and shape of their breasts until they undergo pregnancy and childbearing.  Often, after pregnancy and childbearing, a woman loses volume in her breasts.  Very often, these patients seek breast augmentation to restore them back to their previous size and shape. 
There are no upper limits regarding age for this procedure as long as they are in satisfactory physical condition.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Age requirements or restrictions for breast implant augmentation

+1

In most cases, the FDA recommends the use of saline filled breast implants for cosmetic breast augmentaton in patients age 18 and over unless required for breast reconstruction. Silicone implants are reserved for those 22 years of age and older.

Right age for breast augmentation

+1

I have seen women ranging from the teenage years to well in their forties considering breast augmentation. The general rule of thumb is patients should be emotionally mature and be aware and understand the risks and benefits in the short and long-term regarding breast augmentation. The guidelines state that patients should wait until 18 years of age until undergoing breast augmentation, but they can only have saline implants placed. Patients wanted silicone breast implants have to wait until they are the age of 22 prior to proceeding.

Ankit Desai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Many important decisions must be made concerning breast augmentation

+1

The decision to have a breast augmentation will effect you for the rest of your life. There are many important decisions that go into determining when is the correct age for this procedure. If your breast grow has been stable for over one year then physically you may be a good candidate for the procedure. Your next step would be to have a consultation with a plastic surgeon. During this process a determination will be made to be certain you are an appropriate candidate.