Recommended Age for Breast Augmentation?

I just turned 18 and would love to get Breast implants before college because I am a nearly an A at this point and the rest of my body is not small so I am disproportional.

I am about 5'6 and 128 lbs. I am very active and work hard on my figure but feel I will never be fully satisfied unless I get a breast augmentation. My family members and friends are unsure of the surgery; however, I know that this is absolutely the right decision for me.

Make an informed decision on breast augmentation

+2

As discussed in other answers, for cosmetic breast augmentation (not breast reconstruction such as asymmetric breasts) you must be 18 yrs old for saline implants. The FDA has approved the use of silicone implants, but you must be 22 yrs old. So now as an adult, you have an important decision and should evaluate all the options. If you do not have a lot of breast tissue, silicone implants generally give a softer more natural look.

Silcone implants have undergone intense study and have been proven to be safe. You need to discuss all of the risks and benefits of each of these devices with your surgeon. But you need to decide if it is worth it to you to wait 4 years before undergoing the procedure? Also understand that breast implants are not a lifelong device. As you get older, your breasts continue to undergo the aging process. So it is very likely that you will need an exchange of the implants, with or without a breast lift.

There is no correct answer. The most important thing is that you get all the information and feel good about your decision. Maybe you can even educate your family and friends and they will feel better as well. Good luck.

Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Age & Breast Augmentation Surgery

+1
Being disproportional is definitely something that is distressing at any age.The break between high school and college is a good time to consider breast augmentation to solve this issue and to give you confidence as you embark on this new phase of your life.Just make sure that you leave yourself enough healing time after surgery before you start school so that no one would notice something was wrong.Four to six weeks would be ideal for the early healing to be over with.The one drawback of doing your surgery now is that if you have it before you turn 19 then the implant manufacturers will not honor their warranty.Their warranty states specifically that you must be 19 years of age or older at implantation.If you meet their criteria then they will replace the implants for your lifetime if they rupture.If there is a rupture in the first ten years then they will cover a part of the cost of the surgery.You would void the warranty if you have your surgery done right now.Just make sure to take all of this into consideration as you plan your surgery.

Marie E. Montag, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Current Guidelines for the Earliest Age for Cosmetic Breast Augmentation is 18 Years of Age

+1

Current guidelines for the earliest age for cosmetic breast augmentation utilizing saline implants is 18 years of age.  The FDA restricts the use of silicone implants to patients 22 years of age or older. 

Some young women under the age of 18 undergo placement of breast implants for reconstructive purposes.  This would be in the case of significant breast asymmetry (unevenness) or other developmental problems.

It is important that the breasts have stopped growing.  It is also very important that the patient have the proper emotional maturity to fully understand the procedure and the potential risks and changes that will occur. 

Many women are satisfied with the size and shape of their breasts until they undergo pregnancy and childbearing.  Often, after pregnancy and childbearing, a woman loses volume in her breasts.  Very often, these patients seek breast augmentation to restore them back to their previous size and shape. 
There are no upper limits regarding age for this procedure as long as they are in satisfactory physical condition.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Age requirements or restrictions for breast implant augmentation

+1

In most cases, the FDA recommends the use of saline filled breast implants for cosmetic breast augmentaton in patients age 18 and over unless required for breast reconstruction. Silicone implants are reserved for those 22 years of age and older.

Right age for breast augmentation

+1

I have seen women ranging from the teenage years to well in their forties considering breast augmentation. The general rule of thumb is patients should be emotionally mature and be aware and understand the risks and benefits in the short and long-term regarding breast augmentation. The guidelines state that patients should wait until 18 years of age until undergoing breast augmentation, but they can only have saline implants placed. Patients wanted silicone breast implants have to wait until they are the age of 22 prior to proceeding.

Ankit Desai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Many important decisions must be made concerning breast augmentation

+1

The decision to have a breast augmentation will effect you for the rest of your life. There are many important decisions that go into determining when is the correct age for this procedure. If your breast grow has been stable for over one year then physically you may be a good candidate for the procedure. Your next step would be to have a consultation with a plastic surgeon. During this process a determination will be made to be certain you are an appropriate candidate.

ASPS

+1

The guidelines for elective breast augmentation for cosmetic reasons is 18.  This is a great operation, but it is real surgery with risks as well as benefits.  Ultimately, do your homework, make your decision, and do what is right for you.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Breast augmentation at 18 issues

+1

Technically, you can have a saline breast augmentation at age 18 if your breasts have stopped developing and if you are a very mature person emotionally.  You should visit 2 or 3 excellent plastic surgeons in your area and discuss all of the issues involved.   

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

18 years old is youngest for cosmetic, not reconstructive surgery

+1

At 18 you can have breast implants but as has been pointed out, it is hard to know what changes your breast will go through with weight change, etc. Also realize that the FDA has approved silicone implants for women 22 and older therefore silicone in a woman under 18 is considered off label use and, in fact, the company state they will void the warranty of a silicone implant if it is used in a woman under 22.... If you are serious then you should schedule a consultation with a local plastic surgeon where you can find out what your options are. Best of luck.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS