Breast Augmentation Incision Concern

Which type of breast augmentation incision is least likely to cause loss of sensation of the nipples?

Different Incisions

+3

There is not a perfect answer for this. There are surgeons like my self who will claim that the incision will not necessarily affect nipple sensation, as it is the surgery itself. This is some what controversial and to be absolutely certain to not lose nipple sensation then you should not have the surgery.

The risk of sensation loss is very low but it is not zero for either approach, inframammary or periareolar incision.

Good luck.

Loss of nipple sensation more likely related to size of implant and NOT incision choice.

+1

It is my impression from my reading that while the periareolar incision sounds as if it would have a greater risk of comprimising nipple sensation, recent reports have linked the risl of losing sensation to the relative size of the implant.

Nipple numbness after breast augmentation

+1

There are several components which can be involved in nipple numbness. The inframammary incision, being farther away from the nipple, is unlikely to cause nipple numbness onto itself. If, however, extensive dissection is performed to create the pocket for the breast implant, it is possible that this dissection can cause nipple numbness itself.

I perform lateral pocket dissection with a blunt technique in order to maintain the nerves that come from between the ribs to the nipple at the lateral aspects of the breast. I have a very low incidence of nipple numbness postoperatively. I think this is because of my preference for the inframammary approach and the careful dissection that I perform when creating the pocket.

You should ask your surgeon his or her thoughts about the subject before having surgery and get his or her opinion about the best way to go about about achieving you her goals.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Decreased sensation is possible with each

+1

You will hear different answers from different plastic surgeons. I perform a lot of inframammary fold approaches and I have a low incidence of sensation changes. In the patients whom I use incisions around the areola, I tell them I believe there is an increased chance of decreased sensation and possibly an increased incidence of a decreased ability to breast feed in the future as well. As long as you chose a board-certified plastic surgeon to care for you, you have the best chance of a result you are happy with. Best of luck.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS