Advice for Exercise After Breast Augmentation?

I work out everyday and am getting breast implants ASAP. I know it will be hard to run or do the elliptical, but can I do stationary bike at the gym, since it only involes moving the legs? I heard getting the blood rushing isn't good for healing but I need to stick to my routine and cannot possibly take the 3 weeks off from working out that they say you must do to heal right. Any advice?

Working out after Breast Augmentation

Recovery from surgery is simple. The body will let you know when it is ready for activity. This is not the time for no pain no gain. Here in Miami I get my share of patients that "need" to work out. My experience has been that after two weeks it should be ok to spin. Maybe not position 3, but one or two will get you all the cardio you need. Any earlier, you can try just walking. The metabolic rate rises when the body undergoes a surgical procedure, so for a few weeks you will burn extra calories, without lifting a finger.

My advice is, try it, and if it hurts don't do it.

Advice for Exercise after Breast Augmentation...

I allow my patients to use a stationary bike starting 2 weeks after breast augmentation surgery. I prefer that you do not do high impact activity for 4-6 weeks from your date of surgery. Listen to your body and know your limits. The more time you take to recuperate, the better your results! Good Luck with your surgery.

Robert Heck, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Exercise restrictions after breast augmentation in Albany, NY

Thank you for an excellent question. Every woman recovers at their own pace after a breast augmentation. However, there are a few general guidelines that I give to patients.

Following a breast augmentation, I ask that women avoid any strenuous activity for the first two weeks. This means any activity that elevates your heart rate or blood pressure. The reason for this is that elevation of your heart rate or blood pressure can increase the risk of bleeding or swelling.

After 2 weeks, I allow women to resume cardio workouts such as spinning or an elliptical. Full workouts can be resumed after 3 weeks. While it seems like a long time now, the time will go quickly and your body will stay in shape for this short duration.

Best of luck with your breast augmentation.

Jeff Rockmore

How to Get, and Maintain Best Results from Breast Augmentation

I understand how frustrating it is for fit, physically active people to take the required time off of their workout routine to heal completely. I have included a link to my before and after gallery that includes many athletes who have elected to have breast augmentation surgery.  It really is a challenge for many of my patients to slow down their fitness routine following any kind of plastic surgery. Taking that down time will mean a faster and better recovery and it is a way to avoid complications. Please listen to the advice of your doctor and take it easy. Regular visits with your doctors office are the best way to ensure you know when you can resume certain activities.

During surgery, most plastic surgeons will use pain pumps for pain control. This will help you feel better faster and allow you to start your routine sooner. Anesthesia, administered by an MD anesthesiologist who remains at the bedside of the patient during surgery means safety, more comfort and that too can mean a faster recovery.

I urge athletic patients to find plastic surgeons with expertise performing breast augmnetation on athletes. Often female athletes have very minimal body fat and sometimes very limited breast tissue. Most women want a natural look from their brest augmnetation surgery, but professional athletes are often in attire that demands meticulous surgical technique and attention to every detail. My patients who are aerialists, fitness models or athletes in other sports want and need a feminine result from breast augmentation surgery.

My patients who are career women and / or moms also want a natural result and often want to get back into their excersize routine as quickly as possible. 

The following are a few things that can distinguish some surgeons from others

1) Graduating from a top tier medical school at the top of their class.

2) Membership in Alpha Omega Alpha. This is the medical honors society. Alpha Omega Alpha is to medicine what Phi Beta Kappa is to undergraduate universities

3) Formal surgical training from prestigious medical universities. The minimum number of years of surgical training for plastic surgeons to be board certified is five years. Some physicians have as many as ten years of formal surgical training. There simply is no substitute for stelar academic and practical surgical training.

4) Very experienced surgeons with meticulous surgical technique and natural looking outcomes will have photgraphic evidence of their work. Patients should be able to view many photos of the surgery of interest, photgraphed from three different perspectives all with similar lighting, distance from the camera and cropping

The elite experience extends beyond the surgeon to the facility, and the surgical team. You should be able to see the surgical theater and know who else will be in the OR with you during surgery. The Joint Commission (JCAHO) is an organization that provides certification to hospital OR's. The Joint Commission and AAAASF are two of the organizations that can provide certification to surgical suites. Some plastic surgeons elect to have their surgery centers dually certified.

The anesthesia experience is critical to a safe and comfortable surgical experience. A board certified anesthesiologist can administer general or MAC anesthesia. My preference is to have a board-certified anesthesiologist at the bedside of my patients for the duration of surgery.

Plastic surgeons who cater to high profile individuals who place a high value on privacy will have a private first floor entrance and exit so patients never need to be in a public lobby or elevator for pre-operative or post operative visits.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast augmentation

Many women who undergo breast augmentation are fit and exercise regularly, so taking time off their routine is concerning.  There's no absolute guidelines but in general it's best to avoid vigorous exercises for about two weeks after surgery, meaning nothing that elevates the heart rate or blood pressure (no gym, no sex, no soulcycle, etc).  Then there should be a transition phase for about two to four weeks of slowly increasing the activity level back to pre-operative status, so that by about 4-6 weeks after surgery you're back to your normal routine.  Listen to your body during this time.  If certain movements or positions cause pain or discomfort, don't force them.  Regardless, it's important to follow your own doc's specific recommendations, because there may be certain restrictions for you based on how the implants were placed.  Get all this information from your surgeon before undergoing surgery, so you know what to expect.  Enjoy you're fit body with your beautiful new breasts!

Exercise after breast augmention

I think it would be reasonable to use a stationary bike at 2 weeks following surgery given that you see your surgeon right before getting started and everything is progressing as expected.  I let my patients get back to a light routine at 4 weeks if everything looks good and at 6 weeks there are no restrictions.

Samir S. Rao, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

For the first two weeks you should not do anything that will increase your blood pressure and heart rate, so slow walking is allowed. Weeks 2-4 Brisk walking and stationary bike is OK. Weeks 4-6 Light running, After 6 weeks - normal

At 6 Weeks Following Breast Augmentation, Most Patients Are Back To Normal Activity, Including Light Exercising

Recovery times following breast augmentation surgery vary from patient to patient. These times are significantly impacted by the nature of the procedure, the patient’s employment, and the patient’s social situation. It’s important to realize that even though breast augmentation is a cosmetic procedure, it’s still a significant operation with associated risk. For this reason, premature return to normal activity can result in an increased incidence of complications.

We generally recommend light activity for the first week following the procedure. After one week, patients are allowed to gradually resume normal non strenuous activities. Strenuous activities and heavy lifting are not allowed for at least six weeks in most cases. At six weeks, most patients are able to resume all of their normal activities.

It’s important to remember that every patient is unique. The specifics of their employment, exercise routine and surgical procedure will have a significant impact upon their recovery. Make sure you discuss this issue with your surgeon. Your surgeon’s insights, regarding your procedure, will provide important information regarding when you can resume your exercise routine. Your breast augmentation represents a significant investment. The best way to protect that investment is to follow your surgeon’s post operative instructions.

Exercise after breast augmentation

This is an excellent question, especially if you are a very active individual. Physical activity is crucial for your well being, recovery and I encourage you to stay active. The only caveat is that for the three weeks after your augmentation I would recommend to be very careful and avoid your upper body workouts. Try your best not to activate your pecs. The implants are partially under your pecs and therefore you should allow that area to heal for three weeks. You made an investment to enhance your figure so a little sacrifice will not harm your overall fitness. I think lower body workouts should be okay in the meantime. I would start with just a simple walk, and read the messages that your body is sending you. Adjust your intensity depending on the way you feel. When you start up again with the upper body in three weeks remember to reduce the intensity and build back up as tolerated. Your body will not mislead you, so listen to it.  Good luck.

Rami Ghurani, MD

Re: Working out after Breast Augmentation

Dear Ashtheprincess,

I recommend to our patients after a breast augmentation to limit upper body/chest and arm workouts for the first few weeks from surgery. This is particularly significant if the breast implants are placed in sub-muscular position.

And also, while still swollen to keep the heart rate under 100 bpm (increased heart rate, and the subsequent elevated blood pressure can increase swelling of the area).

The benefit to this regimen we find are mainly two-fold:

One, is to keep the muscle and surrounding tissue loose, and allow the proper symmetrical settling of the implants (again, this is especially significant in a sub-muscular placement).

Secondly, to optimize resolution of any persistent swelling to the area by helping the circulation. 

I hope this helps, and best wishes on your surgery,

S.P. Maggi, M.D., FACS
Austin Plastic Surgery Center

drmaggi.com