How to Recognize Infection Symptoms After Breast Augmentation?

HI, I got a breast augmentation 1 month ago and my right breast is still red on the top and kinda tender (more than the other one). I don't have a fever. My doctor has already had me on 2 courses of different antibiotics but I don't know if I have an infection...

How can I detect if this is an infection or just normal recovery from the breast implants? Thanks

Infection

+2
If your surgeon has seen you, then he or she has taken a history and done an exam to arrive at a conclusion.   The post procedure skin changes tightness, swelling, and tenderness will not usually be soft and stable until after 3 months. 

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Infection Symptoms

+1
Usual symptoms of bacterial infection include pain and tenderness, swelling, and erythema. Sometimes, there may also be a fever and purulent discharge (pus). Infection usually occurs within the first month (in two thirds of cases), the average being at the eleventh day mark. If your surgeon is already aware of your situation, then you are probably following a suitable course of treatment. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Redness after breast implants

+1
Redness and tenderness can be a signs of infection or inflammation with or without fluid collection. Your surgeon is best able to answer this question for you - you should be seeing your surgeon regularly until your symptoms have resolved entirely. It is very important that you contact him or her with any changes (increased redness, pain, fever). Best of luck.

Grant Stevens, MD

Breast implant infection

+1
It is critical to inform your plastic surgeon about any questions or concerns you have after any surgery. Following breast augmentation surgery is is typical for patients to have an appointment 102 days after surgery, at one week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 month, six month and 12 month however, if you have any concerns between appointments contact your plastic surgeons office right away.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Infection

+1
Unfortunately, without a complete history and physical exam and through pre operative photography there is not enough information to make an informed plan, please consult your surgeon or another local board certified plastic surgeon

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Breast implant infection

+1

Very important question - and definitely one you want to have answered definitively. You need very close follow up by your plastic surgeon. If you do have an infection it needs to be treated aggressively. Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

You Need to be Re-Evaluated By Your Plastic Surgeon to Determine if You Have a Breast Infection

+1

Infection following breast augmentation is a serious complication that can result in patients losing their breast implants. Signs of infection include redness, swelling, drainage, pain, fever and occasionally flu like symptoms.

When any of these symptoms occur, they should be investigated aggressively. This may include laboratory studies, ultrasonography, and possibly aspiration of fluid within the breast pocket for culture.

It’s important that you be re-evaluated by your plastic surgeon. Your clinical course doesn’t seem to be improving, despite two courses of antibiotics. In addition, you continue to have unilateral redness and tenderness. These findings suggest that infection is definitely a possibility.

If it is determined that you have an infection, aggressive treatment will be necessary to salvage your breast implants. This would include an infectious disease consultation, appropriate culture specific antibiotics and possible re- exploration of the breast pocket with aggressive cleansing. Even with these maneuvers, once infection is established within the breast pocket, removal of breast implants is usually necessary.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast Aug Infection

+1

From what you describe above it sounds like you might have an infection.  Your surgeon would be the best judge of the possibility of infection.  It's possible there is just some inflammation from the surgery but time will tell if there is no improvement in your symptoms.  Talk to your surgeon again and discuss your concerns.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Signs of Infection after BBA

+1

Here are a few signs:

1. redness
  2. warmth
  3. swelling
  4. pain/tenderness
  5. malaise
  6. systemic fever
  7. purulent discharge from the incision sites

In your case, you may want to get an ultrasound to r/o a collection such as a seroma, hematoma, or unlikely a galactocele.  You certainly have a few signs of inflammation.  Go see your surgeon again.

Sincerely,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Detecting infection after breast augmentation

+1

It sounds like you may have an infection or a seroma or both.  It is relatively uncommon to have redness in your breast, especially asymmetrically, one month after a breast augmentation.  You should be seeing your plastic surgeon as he/she can examine you and determine the likely hood of an infection.  Oral antibiotics would be your first line choice followed by IV antibiotics, followed by removal and replacement of the implant with a drain.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD