Very Sensitive Nipples After Breast Augmentation

I am 53 years old and had silicone implants 1 month ago. I am having very sensitive nipples, almost to the point of painful. Fabric hurts to touch them. What can you recomend? I have tried several creams and nothing seems to work. My doctor tells me it will ease in time.

Nipple hypersensitivity after breast augmentation

Hypersensitivity of the nipples is extremely common with breast augmentation and is a result of stretching or small injury to some of the nerves along the chest wall leading to the nipple. This will almost certainly get better and resolve in the next several months. My patients that have had this problem have found some relief by placing nipple "pasties" on the breasts. They can minimize the friction of the nipples rubbing on a bra or clothing and might give you at least some relief until the condition resolves itself. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

300 Keisler Drive
Cary, NC 27518

Sensitive Nipples is Common After Breast Augmentation

It is very common to experience hypersensitivity of the nipples after breast augmentation.

This will go away with time. It is caused by stretching of the nerves during surgery.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

195 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02116

Massage breast to decrease sensitivity

Breast implants do put some tension or stretch on nerves that tends to cause irritation. The nerve to the nipple runs from the back around the side of the breast and up to the nipple.

For patients with nipple sensitivity after breast augmentation, I recommend using gauze pads or large bandaids to decrease the physical rubbing of clothes or bras directly on the nipple.

I also recommend massaging the lateral or outside aspect of the breast and ribs, which compresses the nerve before the area that is being stretched. The nerve then senses the pressure of the massage rather than the pain of the pulling.

This will get better in time so hang in there.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

7735 W. Jefferson Blvd.
Fort Wayne, IN 46804

Nipples Sensitive 1 Month Following Breast augmentation

Increased nipple sensation following breast augmentation can occur and almost always goes away. Because you mention that both nipples are affected, I believe that the same healing process is occurring in both. During the course of the procedure the sensory nerves to the breast may become swollen or stretched, occasionally  resulting  in hypersensitivity of these nerves to the nipples. Over time the breast swelling dissipates and the hypersensitivity spontaneously resolves.  In the meanwhile, you can place soft nursing pads in your bra for comfort.

Richard Wellington Swift, MD

110 E 87th St
New York, NY 10128

Nipple hypersensitivity after augmentation mammaplasty

This is very common and has probably peaked.

I have noted that most patients experience this at approximately 10 days to 3 weeks after surgery.

It is due to the stretching of the nerves (neuropraxia) and will resolve as the nerve relaxes. In research, we know we can stretch nerves and they will grow, as they do this they become less taut and less sensitive.

This is common for any part of the body and physical therapists commonly perform desenstization exercises to help diminish the discomfort.

Your physician is correct in that it tends to resolve and I suspect you have experienced the worst of it at this point in time. Implant displacement exercises, while initially painful, may help to stretch and evenutally relax the nerve; ask your surgeon about this.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Sensitive Nipples after Breast Augmentation

I routinely tell my patients that one of the complications in a breast augmentation is changes in nipple sensitivity. The nerve endings that supply the nipple come from the lateral aspect of the breast. During the surgery, this lateral part of the breast has to be "dissected" to accommodate the width of the implant. I have seen more problems with nipple sensitivity when the pocked has been dissected to far laterally and disrupted the nerves. As the healing process occurs, some of the nerves become trapped by scar tissue. I don't believe the compression of the implant under the nipple causes these sensation changes. If the sensisivity has decreased, I tell patients that it may return with time. If there is hypersensitivity or pain, I will try early massage over the nipple to "de-sensitize" the area. If this does not work, there are several medications that can decrease this neuropathic pain.

Robert Najera, MD
Frisco Plastic Surgeon

4401 Coit Rd
Frisco, TX 75035

Sensitive Nipples After Breast Augmenation

Your concern is quite common following breast augmentation.  It is because the nerve that controls sensation is stretched and hence irritated and it will calm down with time.  There are no creams that help.  Basically you need to cover them until the sensation becomes bearable and then you should actually gently massage them.  Yes massage them.  Even though that's the last thing you feel like doing the nerve will desensitize if you stimulate it rather than ignore it. If you simply ignore it, the discomfort will take longer to diminish.

Hang in there.

Hope that helps

Dr Rahban

Rady Rahban, MD

9730 Wilshire BLVD
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Dysesthesia (Nipple Sensitivity) Usually Resolves Within 6-8 Wks Following Breast Augmentation. Massage May Help the Discomfort

Patients who undergo breast augmentation often complain of pain, swelling, and nipple hypersensitivity. These are normal findings immediately following surgery, and usually resolve with time.
The hypersensitivity that you describe is known as a dysesthesia. It’s very similar to what happens when your leg falls asleep. This phenomena occurs when nerves are compressed or stretched. During and after breast augmentation surgery, the breast implant actually simultaneously stretches and compresses the nerves. In many cases, this is made worse by swelling.
Patients typically describe a tingling, burning sensation that can be very uncomfortable. In many cases, clothing rubbing against the nipple areola can elicit a pins and needles sensation.
These symptoms usually resolve in about 6 to 8 weeks without intervention. In some cases, aggressive massage can desensitize the area and minimize the pain and discomfort associated with this condition.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Excessive nipple sensitivity almost always goes away.

Hi! Sometimes during breast augmentation, the principal nerve to the nipples (the lateral cutanous branch of the 4th intercostal nerve) gets stretched or bruised. While the nerve is healing, you can have too much, too little, or abnormal (pins and needles) sensation in your nipples.

Sensation usually returns to normal in a few months. I have done many hundreds of breast augmentations, and have had only one patient that I know of in whom this problem remained permanent.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075

Nipple Sensitivity

After breast augmentation there can be a significant amount of stretching on the nerves in your breasts. Depending on the size of your implants and your original breast size the amount of stretch can be quite substantial and can take a while for the nerve to adjust to its new position. This can lead to nerve pain. Gentle massage of your breasts and giving the nerve time to recover (6 months to a year) is the best way to relieve this pain and sensitivity that you have been experiencing. Should your discomfort become worse you should follow up with your plastic surgeon.

Michael L. Workman, MD

1405 SE 164th Ave.
Vancouver, WA 98683