Very Sensitive Nipples After Breast Augmentation

I am 53 years old and had silicone implants 1 month ago. I am having very sensitive nipples, almost to the point of painful. Fabric hurts to touch them. What can you recomend? I have tried several creams and nothing seems to work. My doctor tells me it will ease in time.

Nipple hypersensitivity after breast augmentation

+6

Hypersensitivity of the nipples is extremely common with breast augmentation and is a result of stretching or small injury to some of the nerves along the chest wall leading to the nipple. This will almost certainly get better and resolve in the next several months. My patients that have had this problem have found some relief by placing nipple "pasties" on the breasts. They can minimize the friction of the nipples rubbing on a bra or clothing and might give you at least some relief until the condition resolves itself. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Sensitive Nipples is Common After Breast Augmentation

+5

It is very common to experience hypersensitivity of the nipples after breast augmentation.

This will go away with time. It is caused by stretching of the nerves during surgery.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Massage breast to decrease sensitivity

+4

Breast implants do put some tension or stretch on nerves that tends to cause irritation. The nerve to the nipple runs from the back around the side of the breast and up to the nipple.

For patients with nipple sensitivity after breast augmentation, I recommend using gauze pads or large bandaids to decrease the physical rubbing of clothes or bras directly on the nipple.

I also recommend massaging the lateral or outside aspect of the breast and ribs, which compresses the nerve before the area that is being stretched. The nerve then senses the pressure of the massage rather than the pain of the pulling.

This will get better in time so hang in there.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Nipples Sensitive 1 Month Following Breast augmentation

+3

Increased nipple sensation following breast augmentation can occur and almost always goes away. Because you mention that both nipples are affected, I believe that the same healing process is occurring in both. During the course of the procedure the sensory nerves to the breast may become swollen or stretched, occasionally  resulting  in hypersensitivity of these nerves to the nipples. Over time the breast swelling dissipates and the hypersensitivity spontaneously resolves.  In the meanwhile, you can place soft nursing pads in your bra for comfort.

Richard Wellington Swift, MD

Nipple hypersensitivity after augmentation mammaplasty

+3

This is very common and has probably peaked.

I have noted that most patients experience this at approximately 10 days to 3 weeks after surgery.

It is due to the stretching of the nerves (neuropraxia) and will resolve as the nerve relaxes. In research, we know we can stretch nerves and they will grow, as they do this they become less taut and less sensitive.

This is common for any part of the body and physical therapists commonly perform desenstization exercises to help diminish the discomfort.

Your physician is correct in that it tends to resolve and I suspect you have experienced the worst of it at this point in time. Implant displacement exercises, while initially painful, may help to stretch and evenutally relax the nerve; ask your surgeon about this.

Excessive nipple sensitivity almost always goes away.

+3

Hi! Sometimes during breast augmentation, the principal nerve to the nipples (the lateral cutanous branch of the 4th intercostal nerve) gets stretched or bruised. While the nerve is healing, you can have too much, too little, or abnormal (pins and needles) sensation in your nipples.

Sensation usually returns to normal in a few months. I have done many hundreds of breast augmentations, and have had only one patient that I know of in whom this problem remained permanent.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Sensitive Nipples After Breast Augmenation

+2
Your concern is quite common following breast augmentation.  It is because the nerve that controls sensation is stretched and hence irritated and it will calm down with time.  There are no creams that help.  Basically you need to cover them until the sensation becomes bearable and then you should actually gently massage them.  Yes massage them.  Even though that's the last thing you feel like doing the nerve will desensitize if you stimulate it rather than ignore it. If you simply ignore it, the discomfort will take longer to diminish.

Hang in there.

Hope that helps

Dr Rahban

Rady Rahban, MD

Dysesthesia (Nipple Sensitivity) Usually Resolves Within 6-8 Wks Following Breast Augmentation. Massage May Help the Discomfort

+2

Patients who undergo breast augmentation often complain of pain, swelling, and nipple hypersensitivity. These are normal findings immediately following surgery, and usually resolve with time.
The hypersensitivity that you describe is known as a dysesthesia. It’s very similar to what happens when your leg falls asleep. This phenomena occurs when nerves are compressed or stretched. During and after breast augmentation surgery, the breast implant actually simultaneously stretches and compresses the nerves. In many cases, this is made worse by swelling.
Patients typically describe a tingling, burning sensation that can be very uncomfortable. In many cases, clothing rubbing against the nipple areola can elicit a pins and needles sensation.
These symptoms usually resolve in about 6 to 8 weeks without intervention. In some cases, aggressive massage can desensitize the area and minimize the pain and discomfort associated with this condition.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Hypersensitivity can last months

+1
Hypersensitivity after breast augmentation can occur. It usually last for months after the operation, and there is no specific way to treat it. However, the good news is that it means that the nerves are intact, and it usually resolves on its own. It will ease in time.

Gary Lawton, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

+1
  Hypersensitive nipples are quite common and usually temporarily  so after  breast augmentation surgery. More commonly, in  approximately  5% of patients, there will be hypo sensitivity of the nipples that may be permanent. This is seen regardless of the incision used to perform the breast augmentation procedure and is related to involvement of the 4th intercostal nerve.