Second Breast Augmentation Recovery Period

What is the recovery like for a second breast augmentation? I am going from 270cc saline and switching to 390cc saline. How long before I can work out and do push-ups again? How much quicker is recovery the second time around?

Second breast augmentation recovery period

+1
Thank you for your question! This answer will vary amongst each surgeon, and it is wisest to discuss this with your plastic surgeon. I n my practice, utilizing the fast track technique after breast augmentations, women are readily able and doing most things virtually immediately after this procedure. She is even recommended to go out for dinner that evening. However, follow your surgeon's instructions for postoperative care and restrictions, but it is common for most women to resume many of the preoperative activities and duties within a week.

After an implant exchange, such as that you are describing, is usually even easier than a primary, or initial, augmentation procedure.  Since the pocket is already created and there is typically less pocket work done, the pain is usually less.  I would still follow your surgeon's instructions, but a restriction with use of your chest as well as a postoperative garment is often recommended for several weeks.  Best wishes for an excellent result!

Second breast augmentation.

+1

Thanks for sharing. During the second breast operation - called a breast implant exchange - the average breast patient typically experiences less pain. Thanks and good luck, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Recovery from revision breast implants usually easier.

+1

Hi.

Recovery from revision breast implants is usually easier except when the breast implant pockets are originally over the muscle, and new pockets are made under the muscle.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast Implant exchange

+1

The pain post-op will probably much less than the first operation and you probably will feel better sooner. However, I still would avoid exertional activity for  few weeks.

Second breast augmentation hurts less

+1

Secondary breast implant surgery tends to hurt less than the first time around unless you are going from "overs" to "unders." But what you will be able to do and when depends upon how much surgery you have planned...if the pocket needs significant work it might be a few weeks. Ask your surgeon.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

It depends on if the pocket needs revision

+1

In order to increase the size of your implants, the pocket most likely will need to be enlarged to accomodate the new implant. I would personally allow you to exercise getting your heart rate up and blood pressure up after 2 weeks. I would restrict you from heavy pec exercises such as push ups for 8 weeks at which time the new pocket will be fully lined.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Depends on the details...

+1

Hi there-

Provided that the procedure will involve only minor modifications of the implant pocket and exchange for larger ones (but the pocket location will stay the same), recovery should be much easier than after your initial operation.

If, however, in addition to placing larger implants, the pocket location will be changed or if you need other significant alterations, you should expect more discomfort and recovery.

The time period of activity restriction (from things like push-ups) will greatly depend on these details as well, so I would talk it over with your surgeon to be sure.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Recovery from second breast implant augmentations surgery. Exercises to avoid (VIDEO)

+1

The recovery depends on the procedure. For example recovery will be different if going from over to under. However, in general, recovery is usually a fraction of the first procedure which most patients liken to your breasts becoming engorged with lactation. We generally discourage patients from doing pectoralis strengthening exericses (see video below)