Receding Chin 19 Year Old Male?

my chin is slightly receding.i dont have an overbite but if i pull back my lower jaw the upper row of teeth covers 25% of the lower teeth in the front.i have a small nose.should i get a chin implant which might have complications or use orthodontics to correct the bite.my lower and upper teeth are sloped forward.so if i correct the angle of my teeth, and since my nose is small shouldnt orthodontics be enough?

Improving a receding chin

+1

An orthodontic assessment would be necessary to fix the issue you are experiencing with your teeth. If your bite is corrected with orthodontics, it should not change the appearance of your chin. Correcting the bite may only change the appearance of your profile if there was an issue with the mandible, which would require a maxillofacial surgeon to correct.  Chin implants generally yield a fantastic result for patients with a receding chin, and I think you would be really happy with the outcome. From here, I would recommend a consultation with an experienced facial plastic surgeon. He/she may use computer imaging software to give you an idea of how the final result may appear. The morphed image that is generated can also serve as a fantastic communication tool between you and your prospective surgeon, and allow you to make suggestions to him or her so you may obtain the best possible outcome. Thank you and I hope this helps!

Chin implant can help bring chin forward

+1

Orthodontics will simply straighten the teeth to their proper alignment so that there is no further malocclusion.  This will not bring the chin forward.  To bring the chin forward, either mandibular osteotomy is performed (by oral surgeons), or for cosmetic purposes a small chin implant can be placed through a submental incision directly over the bone of the mandible. The chin implant can be done as a standalone procedure under a local anesthesia.  A small incision is placed in the submental area and the implant is placed directly over the bone underneath all of the soft tissues.  This gives an excellent projection to the chin as well as a small amount of lateral and vertical augmentation.

Orthodontic Work-Up Prior To Chin Augmentation

+1

With your degree of overbite and bite concernsd, you should at least get an orthodontic evaluation and make sure that the lower jaw is not a major cause of your chin deficiency. If movement of the lower jaw is not part of the treatment plan and only orthodontics are needed, then you can proceed to getting a chin implant. Orthodontics will improve the alignment of your teeth and your bite, but will not result in a larger chin.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin microgenia

+1

It  sounds as if your small chin can be easily addressed with a chin implant which is very safe and can be placed through a very small incision on the underside of your jaw right onto the chin region. Also, from your description seeing an orthodontist would be a good choice as well for your teeth. Good luck.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant and occlusion

+1

Chin implants rarely have serious complications. It sounds like you should have evaluations by a facial plastic surgeon and an orthodontist. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant and teeth

+1

Dear John,

• You should probably see both an orthodontist and a plastic surgeon for consultations
  • An orthodontist can tell you what is possible with braces alone
  • If you wanted to straighten your teeth, I would get braces anyway, you will not regret it
  • A great smile starts with nice straight teeth, the chin can come after

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD