Swollen Nose After Using Radiesse for Revision Rhinoplasty

I had Radiesse injected into the bridge and tip of my nose as a means of augmenting it after a Rhinoplasty and Revision Rhinoplasty left me with what I perceived as a shortened nose.

The plastic surgeon suggested a "grecian nose" and injected the Radiesse from the top of my bridge down to the tip. That was over 2.5 year ago. Despite the claim that the filler is supposed to dissolve and return the skin to its pre-injected stage, my nose has hardened and remains swollen, and there is a distinct wavy outline along both sides of the bridge of my nose that protrudes.

I have sought out dermatologists, and other plastic surgeons re: what can be done..my nose remains swollen, enlarged, and although the filler is gone, it feels like it has been replaced with scar tissue. I am beside myself. I am fearful of making a horrible look even worse and am reticient to try lasers or steroid treatments. Help! Anyone who can offer me some direction on what to do?

Nose Still Swollen 2 1/2 Years After "Non-Surgical Nose Job" With Radiesse

+2

Hi UBthejudge,

Your nick name reminds be of the old Flip Wilson skit and song "Here Come Da Judge". In your case I would like to be the judge, but without a photo or examination of your nose, this "judge” has to dismiss the case.

I am truly sorry that you are suffering long term effects of the "Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty", which has nothing to do with "rhinoplasty" and everything to do with "non-surgical". We are finding that some fillers are lasting longer than expected in selected patients, whether it is due to new collagen formation, scar tissue, or the product itself.

You should consult with a rhinoplastic surgeon. Your nose should be carefully examined, diagnosed, and then a treatment plan will be created to achieve your cosmetic nasal goals. You may require revision surgery, or may only need "Tincture of Time" (don't look for tincture of time in the pharmacies as one of my patients once did).

I offer complimentary consultations for rhinoplasty if you wish to approach the "bench" regarding your case. Getting as many opinions about your nose is always best. Choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.

This "court” will now take a recess until tomorrow. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Radiesse and the nose

+1

Too much a good thing may not be a great idea. That is what it sounds like. I have used it on a few people that had multiple rhinoplasties and had mild contour deformities. In these cases, I think it is alright. I used maybe 0.3 cc's total. Unfortunately for you, it is unclear what is going on. It sounds like you should get another opinion to see if there is anything that can be done for you without making things worse.

Two years after the procedure, the likely choice for correction is probably surgery

+1

Dear Ubethejudge,

I am very sorry to hear that you have had the problems with your non surgical rhinoplasty. Unfortunately, this is one of the complications that can arise with non surgical rhinoplasty done with Radiesse, and it is one of the reasons we concluded in our recent review of non surgical rhinoplasty patients that it is best to use a fully dissolvable filler, such as Restylane or Juvederm, when first considering a nonsurgical nose job.

That being said, at this point it is more likely that you have a mixture of scar tissue and Radiesse that has remained, causing you issues; though it may be possible that you have had some further calcification of the Radiesse into a more solid bony matrix.

When we have encountered patients with this problem, we have often been able to remove the Radiesse during surgery and revise the nose, though it is a somewhat complicated problem.

In fact, recently, we, in association with our colleagues, reviewed the largest series of injectible rhinoplasties done by anyone to date, and we are presenting our findings in a rhinoplasty meeting in Houston next month.

If you are interested in reading more on the topic, feel free to review our blogs pertaining to the subject by searching for non surgical nose job or liquid rhinoplasty in our blog. And if we can be of any more help please feel free to email or call us.

Peyman Solieman, MD

Radiesse in the nose can lead to bad results

+1

I am really sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately it is not too uncommon. It is one of the reasons why I prefer not to use Radiesse in my practice. It is hard to tell without seeing you, but it is possible that you have developed some scar tissue with or without inflammatory granulomas at the site of Radiesse injection.

Unfortunately, the best way to deal with it may be via another surgery and removal of this injectable implant. You would need to go to an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to discuss revision surgery, maybe see several of them in consultation to find the one you are comfortable with and form the plan of action. It is unlikely the steroid injections will do much, and laser will not help this situation.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Radiesse can last longer than 1 year

+1

Radiesse can last longer then 1 year especially in the nose. Add to that the scar tissue and you have your concerns magnified. Steroids should help and may be permanent. Give it a try before considering surgery.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Lasers or steroid treatments will not help

+1

See a revision Rhinoplasty specialist. Lasers and steroid treatments won't help. An experienced revision Rhinoplasty expert will be able to give you good direction to resolve your problem.