Blood on Pillow 2 Months Post-op Rhinoplasty

this morning when i woke up there was blood on my pillow and in my left nostril only, this has rarely happened since i udnderwent my rhinoplasty 2 months ago ( 10 and a half weeks). im rather sure i didnt knock it , maybe i rolled around in my sleep and ended up putting pressure on it,what im wondering now is will my nose become crooked? or has enough time passed so that the bones are rather solid?

Blood on pillow after rhinoplasty usually caused by dryness of mucous membranes in winter

+1

The blood on your pillow may, in fact, not be directly related to the rhinoplasty surgery at all. It may be a result of dryness inside your nose, with bleeding from the dry mucous membranes. This frequently happens in the winter time, when the heat is on at night time.

This can be prevented by using a cold air humidifier at your bedside during the night, directed at you, so that you are breathing in the steam to lubricate the nasal mucosa and keep it moist all night long. Some bleeding from your nose certainly does not indicate that your nose will become crooked. However, while the nasal bones are extremely mobile during the first 10 days or so, they will continue to be at risk for movement during the first 6-12 months if you put pressure on one side of the nose during the night or if your nose is struck in any way.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Post-Op

+1

It is not unusual to make mucus membrane dryness following rhinoplasty, particularly during the early post-operative period. It is important to hydrate well and consult with your surgeon to make sure the healing is progressing as expected.

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bleeding 2 months after rhinoplasty most likely just dryness

+1

It is highly unlikely that the bleeding you experienced 2 months after rhinoplasty is related to the surgery. Winter is "nosebleed season" and  often it is just due to dryness. Saline spray and using a humidifier should help. However, if the bleeding continues, see your surgeon or an otolaryngologist for evaluation.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blood on pillow months after rhinoplasty

+1

It's unlikely that the blood on your pillow is anything serious. The nasal bones (if they were fractured during surgery) should be healed after 6 weeks.

You can have your surgeon check to make sure everything is healing okay though.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Blood from nose 2months after rhinoplasty.

+1

This is probably due to dryness of the septum on that side. Vaseline on a q tip placed on the septum morning and evening and a vaporizer in your bedroom will solve the problem.

Blood on pilow two months out from rhinoplasty

+1

Havign some blood on your pillow two months out after a rhinoplasty may be nothing more than a dry nose epsecially in the dry winter weather.  If concerned go see your surgeon.

+1

2 months after rhinoplasty, your bones should be healed. If this happened while you were sleeping it is very unlikely that the bleeding was due to a nose injury, but more likely from having a dry nose. So chances are this is not related to the surgery. However you may want to follow up with your Doctor so he can look inside your nose and determine the cause. You may need a little cautery of the septum if a small blood vessel is exposed, to prevent this from happening again.

Michel Siegel, MD

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon