Puckering Scar After Abdominoplasty?

I had abdominoplasty and liposuction approximately 3 months ago. My post-operative course was complicated by a seroma, fat necrosis and, ultimately sepsis. The wound had extensive draining and tunneling which required packing and hyperbaric oxygen treatment for many weeks. The wound is now closed and the area of the wound is puckered. I realize that this can ultimately improve. If the wound does not improve, should the original surgeon correct it free of charge?

Policies and Timing

Even in the best hands, complications can occur. Most doctors hate complications as much as patients do and want to do everything they can to correct a problem that was a result of their surgery. If you approach your surgeon  in an non-confrontational way you should be able to work out a plan and timetable. Most cosmetic surgeons have a policy regarding revisions for complications and this often involves no charge for surgeons fees. But that doesn't necessarily mean that you nothing. You may be responsible for facility fees, anesthesia charges as well as other things like labs and prescriptions. It is always best to have a good understanding of what your responsibilities are before surgery.

One additional word on timing. After a wound problem like the one you suffers, there is significant inflammation and scar changes that take a long time to settle down. Tissues can be very stiff and difficult to work with in this early period of healing. Waiting longer is almost always better. Waiting a year from the time of complete wound healing is a typical recommendation. So be patient. Best of luck to you.