What to Do for Little Dog Ears That Appear at the End of Incisions Both Sides from Recent Tummy Tuck?

Also any creams good for redness around incision. Thank u

Treating dog ears after tummy tuck

+1

Those little dog ears typically do not occur in a tummy tuck unless the scar length is too short for the amount of skin that was removed.  If they are small enough, waiting several months for scar maturation may alleviate the problem.  Redness around an early incision is normal due to the inflammation that occurs at the wound edges.  This is a necessary side effect of healing.  On the other hand, redness can also be a sign of infection although it typically is not unless the redness has spread further from the incision.  Always check with you doctor if you are not sure.  Finally, scar appearance can be helped by the use of local massage and sometimes silicone sheeting.  Many of the so called “scar creams” have little science to back up their claims so I really don’t recommend them.  When a scar is really out of hand, treatments such as steroid injection, lasers, or even excision and re-closure can be used.

Web reference: http://premierplasticsurgeryarts.com/tummy-tucks-south-jersey/

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Dog ear management

+1

is a simple procedure done under local in the office.  It is best to wait as long as you are able to as these do diminish with time to where you may not need a revision.  There are different techniques and my preferred one is a teardrop excision with a purse-string closure.  As for redness, it will fade with time. If you wish to attempt to accelerate this process, there are many over-the-counter products that you can choose from.  I personally do not recommend it unless poor scarring is appreciated.

What do you do for little dog ears following a TT?

+1

Dog ears along the outer sides of a TT incision is not uncommon. The treamnet is fairly simple and can be performed under local anesthesia. You geenrally do not have to lose any time off from non-strenuous work. As regarding redness of the scar, this is quite common in the early stages of the healing process.Your plastic surgeon should exmaine this and see whether any treamnet, such as creams is warranted.

Web reference: http://drlefkovits.com

Correction of tummy tuck dogears

+1

Dogears can be treated surgically by revision which can be performed in the doctor's office under local anesthesia.  If you have undergone the tummy tuck recently, then give things a chance to settle down as there may be residual swelling.  In terms of a red scar, it takes a full year for the scarring to reach its final state.  Discuss various options for scar treatment with your plastic surgeon as there is a wide range of potential modalities.

Dog Ears and Scar Redness

+1

Dog ears may smooth out over time in some cases.  Redness will also fade with time if it is due to normal healing.  Since I have no other information, I recommend seeing your doctor for guidance.  He may be able to recommend a good scar cream to you at that time too.

Dog ears after TT

+1

I can't tell how long ago your surgery was. Dog ears can be easily removed from the ends of your tummy tuck scar. If they are small it can be done under just a local anesthetic. If your incision is red, you need to contact your surgeon to make sure that there is not an infection.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgerybaltimore.com/

Dog ears after tummy tuck

+1

Small dog ears after tummy tuck are not unusual. They tend to resolve in time. If the dog ears persist the can be easily treated with liposuction or excision under local anesthesia. there are many option for treating the scars from tummy tuck, These include, Silicon sheething, silicone gel, Mederma, Kelocoat. Also laser can be used to reduce the redness in the scar.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

"Dog ears" will likely settle, but if some extra tissue remains after several months, local anesthesia excision can remove them.

+1

Depending on how close you are to your surgery, there may still be swelling that makes these pesky "dog ears" protrude more than they ultimately will when all healing is complete. This takes months, but if there are still fairly visible dog ears at 6 weeks to 3 months post-op, surgical revision under local anesthesia may be advised. If they're small, time may be all you need to get them to flatten as they heal and swelling resolves.

Each surgeon strives to make his or her incisions the flattest and thinnest, so dog ears are not something we don't care about. Unfortunately we also strive to keep our abdominoplasty and other operation incisions as short as possible to reduce visible scarring, and dog ears of various sizes and protrusions can result from this. We are always balancing the two opposing choices--dog ear and short(er) incision or long(er) incision and less chance of dog ears!

If you are early in your recovery after tummy tuck, then relax and let these dog ears settle--they may require nothing at all but time! If you are further down the road in your recovery and these still are visible enough to bother you, then by all means see your surgeon. He or she will likely be more than happy to revise this under local anesthesia for minimal costs. This is one revision that should not be "free" but I never charge a surgeon's fee for this, and try to keep my OR costs to a bare minimum as well--I want my patient to be able to "show off" a better result for the lowest cost possible!

Talk to your surgeon! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/body-procedures/tummy-tuck

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon