Last Week I Was Told I Have a Femoral Hernia Can It Be Repaired at the Same Time As a Tummy Tuck?

I am uninsured and if paying out of pocket for the femoral hernia repair I hope that I can have it done with a yummy tuck. Is this possible? I am in Oregon and seam to be having a problem finding anyone.

Femoral hernia and abdominoplasty repair

+1

Timing and planning of multiple surgical procedures is a common question and patient concern.  Combining an abdominoplasty and a repair of a femoral hernia is an unusual request.  You will need to have a general surgeon involved in the repair of the femoral hernia as this is not usually repaired by a plastic surgeon.   As long as you are in good physical health and have no overriding medical conditions you should be a good candidate. With this combination the highest priority has to be safety and the prevention of DVT and PE.

Tummy tuck and hernia repair

+1

yes, the hernia can be repaired at the same time through the same incision.  I've done it before and it works just fine. Most plastic surgeons should be able to handle this, or they may have a general surgeon perform the hernia part.  But it should present no problem. By the way, are you sure it is a femoral hernia? More likely it is an inguinal hernia.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Femoral Hernia

+1

Thanks for your question.  Yes a Femoral Hernia can easily be fixed at the same time someone is having a tummy tuck.  You will either need to find both a General Surgeon and a Plastic Surgeon to work together.  Or, you will have to find a Plastic Surgeon who is also board certified in General Surgery to perform the surgery.  The latter is often a better solution so that one person can take care of all your concerns at once.  Hope this helps.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Combining abdominoplasy with hernia repair

+1

It is common to repair hernias at the same time as an abdominoplasty or "tummy tuck."  Typically the hernia would be repaired by a general surgeon working with the plastic surgeon who would perform the abdominoplasty.  You are correct that combining these procedures does decrease costs and downtime in comparison to having two seperate procedures while at the same time, not increasing the risks involved.  I suggest you seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to see if you are a good candidate for this procedure.

Kathleen Waldorf, MD, FACS

Hernia repair and abdominoplasty can be done.

+1

There should be no problem repairing the hernia at the same time as your tummy tuck. There are benefits to doing both at the same time. You have only one round of anesthesia and one recovery time which should be similar to an abdominoplasty recovery.

You would potentially have two different surgeons depending on your plastic surgeon's comfort with repairing femoral hernias, but it is common for surgeons to schedule cases together. 

Shannon O'Brien, MD

Femoral Hernia-- Can It Be Repaired at the Same Time As a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Abdominal wall hernias are commonly repaired at the time of tummy tuck. I can see no reason why a femoral hernia cannot be repaired at the same setting as a tummy tuck. 

Keep looking. I would bet that if you found a plastic surgeon you liked, that surgeon could find a colleague to fix the hernia. 

RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. Consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank your for your question, best wishes.