Which Prostaglandin Works Best for Eyebrow Growth: Bimatoprost or Latanoprost?

Bimatoprost might give best results for the eyelashes, but what about the eyebrows?

Latisse for eyebrows

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are still no studies proving that any medications of this class increase the growth if eyebrow hairs.  Anectodally, hiwever, I have seen good responses in pTients who have applied Latisse to the brows.  I would suggest you select Latisse rather than any other prostoglandin analogue since studies with the eyelashes show best responses with Latisse.

Please keep in mind that brow hairs grow much more slowly than eyelashes so you will have to be patient to see any response.

Bimatoprost or Latanoprost for brows?

Thanks for the great question. Right now, it's anyone's guess what works better on the brows. Well conducted studies have not been done. 

Let me explain why we have more experience with bimatoprost - sold under the name Latisse. 

At present there is no FDA approved treatment for thin eyebrows. Clinicians often look to other currently FDA approved treatments for scalp hair or eyelashes in order to find treatments that can be used for the brows. 

Let's look at a few:
  1. BIMATOPROST. It's FDA approved for thin eyelashes so it is often used "off label" for eyebrow growth. Once a drug is FDA approved for one particular use, it can be used off label for another use
  2. MINOXIDIL. It's FDA approved for scalp hair loss in men and women so it's often used "off label" for eyebrow growth. Once a drug is FDA approved for one particular use, it can be used "off label" for another use
Now back to latanoprost. It is not FDA approved for growing hair - either eyelashes or scalp. It is very similar to bimatoprost and there is no scientific data to suggest it is better or worse that bimatoprost. Because it is not FDA approved right now, it is not the primary "go to" medication for the brows. 

Hope this helps!

Jeff Donovan, MD, PhD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Latisse Can Be Used For Eyebrows

Many of my patients, including my wife, have successfully used Latisse to enhance the growth of their eyebrows. Latisse is the only FDA approved treatment for growing eyelashes so using it for the eyebrows is an "off label" indication. Latisse is a prescription-only solution that has been proven to stimulate the growth of eyelashes within just a few months. Latisse is applied daily with a disposable brush which is included with product and can be used for the eyebrows as well. After three or four months, Latisse can be used much less frequently to maintain longer, thicker lashes.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon