I Had a Cataract Surgery Two Years Ago - is Latisse Safe with Lense Implants?

I have lense implants in both of my eyes due to cataracts (in my early 40's) Everything went fine and no problems - is there any reason why I should not use latisse?

It is Safe to Use Latisse with Lens Implants

+2

When Latisse is properly applied as directed to the upper eyelid margin using the supplied applicator, the surface of the eye is exposed to a very small amount of Latisse. This has been demonstrated by applying a colored dye to the eyelid margin and watching its migration. It does not penetrate the eye itself and therefore is quite safe and will not affect lens implants. Side effects otherwise are quite rare with Latisse with less than 4 percent of people experienced redness, irritation and itching of the upper eyelid which was reversible upon discontinuation.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Latisse is safe with lens implants

+2

Even though Latisse consists of bimatoprost, which is a glaucoma medication designed to be instilled into the eye,  Latisse itself is not supposed to be placed inside the eye.

Latisse can irritate the eyelid somewhat but does nothing to the eye itself if used properly.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Latisse After Cataract Surgery

+2
Latisse is derived from a glaucoma medication that works well to lower eye pressure. There are concerns that in the immediate post-operative period(6-8 weeks)after cataract surgery it can cause a subtle swelling in the retina that may reduce vision. However, after more than one year out from cataract surgery you should be fine using Latisse. The usual side effects may still apply including possible red eyes and increased pigmentation.

Michelle Crosby, MD, PhD
Encinitas Ophthalmologist

Latisse After Cataract Surgery

+1

There is no problem using Latisse after cataract surgery. I recommend for my patients to stop Latisse about 4 days before cataract surgery and resume about 4 days afterwords. The only reason I do this is to avoid some minor irritation to the eye from the Latisse. Otherwise, Latisse is not an issue when you are having cataracts removed, or Laser Vision Correction(Lasik or PRK).

Anthony J. Kameen, MD
Baltimore Ophthalmologist

Latisse in Eyes Following Cataract Surgery

+1

Latisse is a medication  which when applied to the eyelid, can rarely cause ocular side effects.  While the medication was originally developed to treat glaucoma, everyone taking Latisse should be observed by an eyeMD for possible side effects.  The major concern in an eye after cataract surgery is swelling of the area of one's central vision, known as cystoid macular edema.  This can occur even if the capsule is intact behind the implant. If you have undergone a laser procedure to open the membrane behind the implant, I would definitely speak with your doctor before beginning treatment. 

If you are careful while applying the Latisse to make sure that none drips into the eye, you follow your vision and are observed by an eyeMD, taking Latisse may be possible and beneficial for your appearance.

Sandy Feldman, MD
San Diego Ophthalmologist