Progesterone to Enhance Tubular Breasts?

I am 25 and have tubular breast deformity. I do not really want larger breasts, I just want them to be a more 'normal', round shape. I have read that my condition may be linked to too little progesterone during puberty, which affects the development of mammary glands. Would bio-identical progesterone, applied topically, possibly aide mammary growth and help my breasts to look a little more normal?

Topical cream for breast enlargement

+1

The effectiveness and absorption through the skin of this have not been substantiated through any study of which I am aware>

We don't have the answer to how many herbal supplements or over the counter drugs or homeopathic medications effect surgery or wound healing because they haven't been studied enough. If I told you willow bark was good for your wound, would you eat it? And would it effect surgery? You would probably say you don't know. Well the answer is yes, it would and it could have disastrous effects and it could save your life. Why> Because that is where Aspirin is derived from. It is a blood thinner and taken before eye surgery, it could make you blind. Howver taken before vacular bypass or heart surgery or cardiac stents, it could prevent an blood threatening clot.

Aspirin has been studied for thousands of years. All the other newcomers have not been fully evaluated. Just like Aspirin, we could find out one day that they are beneficial or harmful. However, at this point in time most of these claims are unproven.

Tubular breasts and hormones

+1

Hormones will not change the shape of your breasts. You will need surgeyr to open the tight base diameter and deal with the conical narrow appearanc. Often implants are necessary.

Tubular Breasts are a developmental and anatomical issue not correctable by supplementation of hormones...

+1

Hi there-

The shape of your breasts is an anatomical consideration, and not a physiologic one... In other words, the shape, once developed, could not reasonably be expected to improve with supplementation of any kind.

I wish I could tell you what you would like to hear, but your best bet is surgical correction. 

Armando Soto, MD

Tubular breast deformity is usually treated with surgery.

+1

Tubular breast deformity is what we call a congenital deformity. I am not aware of any studies demonstrating a progesterone deficiency is causative. While your breasts will likely change under the influences of hormones during pregnancy, it is unlikely that the problem of a narrow constricted base of the breast will change. The only treatment for this condition is surgical. Traditional surgery for this type of breast does involve the use of implants to reshape areas in which the breast tissue is deficient, but what is needed in your case really depends on what your breasts look like. Sometimes it is appropriate to do some breast reduction with an implant for shaping if you do not want your overall breast size to increase. It is important to be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon who has been appropriately trained in this type of breast surgery.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Progesterone to enhance tubular breasts

+1

It is very doubtful the a hormonal issue will or would cause the tuberous breast deformity. It most likely is develpomental or genetic in origin.

From Miami Dr. B

Tuberous Breasts would NOT be reversed or corrected with Topical Hormonal Applications

+1

Tuberous Breasts are an established structural not a chemical anomaly. The application of topical hormones will not be able to selectively release the constricting circumferential bands giving the breasts their Tuber-like or Snoopy Dog-like appearance. Nor can such hormones reduce the puffy herniation into the areolas. Finally, such hormones would not be able to then add the volume to the breasts to make them proportionate to your figure.

I would seek out an experienced Plastic surgeon and see what he/she suggests to be your best option. See several surgeons before you proceed. You will learn much more this way and be able to pick the one who you trust the most.

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea

Progesterone is not the answer to tubular/tuberous breast shape

+1

The use of topical cream or lotion including progesterone cream is not known to stimulate breast development. Both synthetic and natural progesterone have a host of side effects which can include insomnia, mood swings, depression, and are easily absorbed into the body in fatty areas such as the breast. Cancer risks are also noted, and progesterone cream should only be used under your doctors supervision. As you read through the lists of progesterone side effects you will notice that breast enlargement is not one of them.

A tuberous breast can work like any other and support breast feeding, however the skin envelope is tight and under developed. This can be corrected with a breast implant. Another technique which is controversial is fat grafting into the skin's subcutaneous layer and into the breast superficially. The fat somehow stimulates expansion and relaxation of the skin envelope and improves the breast appearance. There are hazards and you should review discussions about fat grafting in the breast as if the grafts are not placed carefully you may develop lumps or calcifications which can confuse the mammogram.

peterejohnsonmd

Tuberous Breasts and Progesterone cream - no known benefit

+1

Tuberous Breast Deformity is also known as a Constricted Breast Deformity. The exact etiology of this syndrome is unknown. There maybe some link to progesterone, but I have never seen any study showing that applying progesterone will make it any better.

The biggest problem with the Tuberous Breast is not the lack of breast volume, it is due to the skin and breast tissues of the lower portion of the breast being too tight. The "Tuberous Breast" got it's name from its shape, like a "Tuber" or potato. Not it's size. Even when implants are inserted, it is sometimes VERY difficult to obtain a nice shape because the lower breast tissues just won't stretch.

That is also why many women with tuberous breasts have herniation of their breast tissue thru the areola, stretching it wider than normal for the size of their breast. It is also the lower breast tightness that causes the skin of the upper breast to stretch, leading to a more droopy breast.  That is why we often have to tighten the skin of the breast, even when inserting an implant just to provide a nice shape.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Tuberous breasts and progesterone

+1

It's a great question but topical treatments will not reshape a tubular breast.  Surgery is required to release the tissue which has not expanded fully.  We do often use implants as well, as many patients do not have adequate volume as a result of the deformity.  Best wishes, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Topical treatment for tubular breasts

+1

I will say that I have not done an exhaustive literature search but to my understanding there is no topical treament that will enhance your breasts let alone improve the shape of the tubular breast. This is, as you have read, a developmental problem with lack of full developement of the breasts and occurs in a range of severity. The only way to change the shape of your breasts at this time would be with surgery. There are some described procedures without the use of implants but it just depends on how much natural breast tissue that your have to start with. I would recommend you schedule a consultation with a local board-certified plastic surgeon who can examine you and then go over your oprtions.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS