Do Tubular Breasts Heal Differently After Breast Augmentation?

I opted for breast augmentation to correct or at least improve my tubular breasts (with very high breast folds). It's been 2 months and I am not seeing the smooth shape I expected at this stage. I still see a line (where the implant is sitting, I guess) and it totally LOOKS like a boob job.

I wanted to know if I am being realistic with my healing time. Will this crease improve over time? Is there something I can be doing to help the healing along? Will I ever look smooth? Thanks!

Tubular breast deformity

+4

Tubular breasts are tough to correct, and the first thing I always tell patients is that their breasts may not ever look completely normal. That being said, it looks like there is still some banding of your breast tissue that could be released. I have seen this happen after tubular breast correction, and it's frustrating for both surgeon and patient. The line you see is the band; the implants are sitting in the correct space. I suggest giving it at least six months prior to any revision surgery, and speaking with your surgeon about this. This is a tough problem, but it looks like you've come a significant part of the way towards correction. Good luck and best wishes, /nsn.

Breast implants not enough to correct tubular breasts.

+3

Hi.

1) The thing to understand is that women with tubular breasts really need breast reconstruction, with reshaping and spreading out of the breast tissue itself, by internal incisions. This is the key step to get normal shape, not breast implants. It does not look like you had this done.

2) I am afraid this will not improve on its own. Of course wait another four months at least, but eventually you will need a revision. It may never be perfect, but I think it can be better.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tubular breasts

+2
It's difficult to answer this question for you as there is a small photo in a limited area with no before image. However, women with tubular / tuberous breasts can achieve excellent results and are some f the happiest patients in my practice as this surgery is life altering for them. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Snoopy Dog Breasts

+2

It is obvious from your post op photo that you were born with a tubular breast deformity.  This will not correct on its own and you will need a secondary procedure to improve your shape.  Your original surgery should have included some reshaping (mastopexy) in addition the the augmentation.  You can still obtain a nice result but there will be additional scars around the areola and the cost/inconvience of a secondary procedure.  If your original surgeon willnot/cannot perform the next procedure, maybe there can be some financial reimbursement to help cover the cost of the secondary procedure.

Good Luck,

David R Finkle, MD

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous/tubular breasts and post operative shape and healing

+2

It may take at least 6 months for the crease in tubular or tuberous breast to resolve or improve after breast augmentation.  I would suggest waiting at least this amount of time before suggesting a revisionary surgery.  If after that period of time the shape has not improved, you could consider a surgery that would involve scoring or releasing the base of the breast to allow it to unfurl, along with a donut shaped skin resection (mastopexy) around the areola (pigmented area around the nipple). 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Tubular breast correction

+2

Tubular breast can be pretty difficult to correct. It looks as though there is some banding that has not been completely released. I would wait at least 6 months before you consider any revisionary surgery. This will also give your breast a little more time to heal and settle. Understand though that your breast may never be completely corrected, but improvement is a definite possibility. Definitely go talk to your plastic surgeon about this.

Best Regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Tubular Breasts

+1
First of all I would say that you are still early in your post-operative period. It does take longer for someone with tubular breasts to achieve their final results than someone that did not have a constricted breast. The breast will continue to stretch over the next couple months and take the shape of the implant.

One of the causes of tubular breasts is that the breast has constriction bands on the inside. Typically during surgery those bands need to be released to allow the breast to expand and improve in shape over time.

I would tell you that you should wait at least six months before contemplating any further surgery to improve the shape. The good news is that your shape should continue to improve over time and if after six months your still would like to further improve your shape there are things that can be done.

I would discuss this with your board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in breast surgery.

Johnny Franco, MD

Yes

+1
It takes a very long time to correct the tubular breast shape after augmentation.  Massage the implant against that tight fold to encourage it to stretch out.  This will help achieve that rounded shape, which may take a year.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breast Correction

+1
Tubuerous breasts need more than breast implants to improve their contour.

It appears that you have tuberous breasts. A common treatment technique involves releasing constricted breast tissue underneath the protruding nipples to give your breasts a fuller, less "snoopy" shape. No breast implants are needed but you may not be happy with their size after surgery.You may need another procedure to address the crease. Please wait about 4 months after surgery to determine this.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Tubular breast correction

+1
It looks as though your breasts remain constricted in the lower pole, which creates a line where the constricted breast base meets the implant. This may improve over the next several months as the implant continues to stretch the tissue. However, it may require revisionary surgery to further reshape your native tissue. Fat grafting over the implant to help camouflage the transition may also help. This is a difficult problem and sometimes takes a few surgeries to get a satisfactory result. Best of luck.

Grant Stevens, MD