Pressure Feeling on my Nose. Is This Normal?

I had a revision rhinoplasty about a week ago and just got my splint taken off. I'm feeling an odd sense of what can only be described as light pressure coming from the bridge of my nose. My doctor gave me septal spreader grafts (I think that's what they're called) to widen my nose, because it was too narrow and I couldn't breathe properly. He also pushed my tip back because it was sticking out too much. Could any of these factors cause a slight pressure feeling coming from the area that he widened?

Pressure Along the Bridge Following Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

From what you describe, this type of pressure sensation is quite normal following the type of surgery you mentioned. I would not be too worried unless you had other symptoms associated with the pressure. To be more certain, you should consult with your rhinoplasty surgeon. 

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pressure of nose at one week after surgery

+2

A pressure sensation after rhinoplasty is common. The nose will feel a bit strange for several weeks as it heals. Give it time.

Pressure Feeling on the Nose after Spreader Grafts

+2

Spreader grafts in the way described do widen the nose and may create a little more tension on the nasal skin with the increased width.  The main source of tension is due to the swelling at this early date.   Please contact your plastic surgeon for more specific information, as he or she is more familiar with you.

Is it normal to feel pressure on the nose after rhinoplasty?

+1

Hello, and sorry to hear about the discomfort you are experiencing following surgery. One week is still very soon after your surgery, and you are at the peak of your swelling. Typical side effects following rhinoplasty may include:

1) Swelling
2) Bruising
3) Bleeding
4) Asymmetry
5) A feeling of "pressure," which may be caused by swelling

It is not abnormal to be experiencing swelling and general discomfort one week after your surgery. The details of your surgery that you mentioned would not individually cause the feeling of pressure. The overall swelling in your nose and feeling of pressure following surgery is a cumulative result of the procedures that were performed. And tip work can generally create additional swelling that will result in a delay of the final result. I would recommend communicating any immediate post-operative concerns with your surgeon, as he/she knows the details of your procedure. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Feeling of pressure on the nose

+1

It is not abnormal to be feeling some pressure on the nose one week after surgery. You are quite swollen, and it will take some time for the swelling to resolve. I would recommend discussing any immediate post-operative concerns with your surgeon, as he/she knows the extent of your procedure and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and good luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD