Can a Radix Graft Be Reduced in Closed Approach?

Hi, i had a revision rhinoplasty about 2 1/2 weeks ago and i am worried the radix graft my surgeon put is too big. Would i be able to have it shaved/reduced with a closed approach? Or would it more likely have to be open? I am scared of having another open op as this one has been very traumatic to the skin. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide on this issue.

Radix Graft 2 weeks Post - op

+2

Hi,

Its very early post-op to determine whether the radix graft is too high or  too big. I would wait 4to 6 months for the swelling to resolve. Of course a picture would help with the evaluation.

Dr.S.

Closed Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

A radix graft is very easily and quickly approached through a closed approach without any additional trauma to the skin.  However, unless there is obvious shifting of the graft, then I would wait until more of the swelling has come down.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision of Radix Graft

+2

At 2-3 weeks out from surgery, you are much too early to consider a revision. That being said, a radix graft can often times be modified with a closed or limited approach once the healing process has stabilized. Wishing you the best.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

Yes, but you should allow at least several months for the swelling to subside before worrying about the final results.  A closed Revision would need to wait 6 months.  Discuss this with your Rhinoplasty Surgeon before getting to worried.

Radix graft and approach

+2

A radix graft can be approached through a closed rhinoplasty approach. Good luck with your decision but you are best to wait for now because of swelling.

Endonasal rhinoplasty approach to radix

+2

The radix can certainly be addressed through an endonasal or "closed" approach.  Depending on the type of graft that was used, the revision may range from straightforward to challenging.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Radix Graft in Rhinoplasty

+1
A radix graft is used to correct a depression at the root of the nose, with the goal of a straight bridge. This graft must be carefully shaped and softenend if necessary so it is undetectable. Softened cartilage may act like a sponge, absorbing fluid after surgery, and this may take time to resolve. Try to be patient and follow up with your doctor to express your concerns.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removing Radix Graft

+1

A radix graft can be removed easily via a closed or endonasal approach.  Although I wouldn't recommend it at only 2 weeks post-op.  It is best to allow the swelling to decrease before considering any additional procedures.  

Jill Hessler, MD
Palo Alto Facial Plastic Surgeon