Will Post-tummy Tuck Swelling Stretch my Skin Again?

Hi - I am a 27 year-old female who had a full tummy tuck 6 weeks ago. I am in great physical condition - in fact the dr. didn't need to do fat removal on me. Though my swelling has gone down, it's still present most of the time (mornings excepted)right below my belly button. I find that when I sit up or bend over, the skin seems to sag. I don't remember this being the case when I first saw my tummy the day after the surgery. Can the swelling cause sagging? And if so, will it tighten up again?

Tummy tuck

+1

The skin should retract when the swelling subsides, if the abdominoplasty was done correctly, which I am fairly certain that it was.  Just have patience for another 1-2 months.

Tummy tuck swelling and loose skin with bending at waist

+1

Prolonged swellling after a tummy tuck is common and loose skin with bending over is normal. It may take closer to 4-6 months for resolution of the swelling. A perfectly taut abdomen with flexing at the waist is desireable but not typically achievable nor realistic.

Swelling After Abdominoplasty Normal

+1

The sequence that you describe is very normal.  Everything is very tight initially, and then the swelling goes down and the skin loosens up to some degree.  Then, over the next month or two, with the help of some god compression garment, the skin will retract and tighten up more.  Just be patient in the process, and give it about three months.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon