Pain After Tummy Tuck with Sex

I am two and a half weeks post op from my tummy tuck and to embarrassed to ask my ps, but my husband and I were having sex "dogie style" since this was the only way I felt comfortable enough to do it,I had two thick pillows propped under my belly and it only lasted about ten minutes. Now I have pain in the upper right side of my abdomen. It feels kinda like a strain muscle or something. Can you please tell me what this might be?

Sex after Tummy Tuck

+3
For the tummy skin to re-adhere to the underlying muscles and prevent disruption of the muscle repair it is important to refrain from exertion, weight lifting or any shearing movement for 4-6 weeks. The right upper quadrant of the abdomen contains the liver and gallbladder but those are extremely unlikely to have been affected by either your operation or your husband's action. You may have suffered a muscle sprain but you really should pass this by your surgeon and see what he thinks. I'm sure he has seen this before ( for my part I had a patient who laughingly told me she had sex with her husband within 2 weeks of surgery with the drains still in...great patient)

Take It Easy For A While.

+2

It is difficult to tell you exactly what this might be without examining you.  Vigorous activity after abdominoplasty  should be avoided for 6 weeks.  This give the operated area (skin, abdominal muscles) time to heal without producing a seroma and/or myalgia (muscle pain).  My advice is to get pass your embarrassment and advise your PS of your complaints and the potential cause of your discomfort.

Good Luck

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Sex too early after tummy tuck

+2

I advise my patients not to do anything too strenuous for 6 weeks after tt.  This means no lifting more than 10#, twisting, moving too fast, etc.

The reason for the physical limitations are that you can pop stitiches or more likely, have the sutures cut through the muscles.  In either event, it is a bad situation.

My advice is to stop that now.  Tell your doctor what you have been up to and have him look to see if there is a problem.

I hope you didn't ruin your operation.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Sex 3 weeks after tummy tuck results in pain

+1

To some degree that is impressive that you wree sufficiently recovered to ev en think about this kind of activity. Generally we advise patients to refrain for a minimum of 3 weeks. The liver or gallbladder are in the upper right portions of your abdomen and it is unlikely that you sustained an injury to these organs but it is possible that the skin which was in your upper abdomen and brought downwards may be the cause.

Talk to your surgeon to insure that there are no other potential serious causes.