What if Juvederm Does Not Last for Even 2 Months? What Else Could I Try?

I had relatively deep Nasal Labial lines and had Juvederm Ultra injected and it looked fantastic, for one month then started to disappear. By the end of the second month it was gone. I went to another PS to discuss it and he said that the doctor most likely did not use enough - so he used two more vials (one for each side) and the same thing happened. It tried a third ps - same thing. This concluded - it's me not the Juvederm. What else could I try?

Radiesse is best for the nasolabial folds

+2

Radiesse has been proven to be much more effective than hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm for treatment of the nasolabial folds. The problem you are describing is most likely due to the use of a superficial "wrinkle filler" like Juvederm in this area instead of a "volume filler". Several years ago a study was done where Radiesse was injected into one nasolabial fold and, in the same patient, fillers containing hyaluronic acid such as Juvederm were injected onto the other nasolabial fold. The majority of patients and observers picked the Radiesse side as more natural looking. This is because of the difference between "stimulatory" fillers and "wrinkle" fillers.  Radiesse is injected more deeply beneath the skin and will generate more volume to create a much better lifting effect with a much more natural look. It works by stimulating your skin to produce more collagen, which is why it is so effective, and gives longer-lasting results too. Please remember that the experience and technique of the physician injecting these fillers is the most critical part of your achieving a beautiful, natural result. The video link below shows see me injecting my wife with Radiesse into the lower cheeks, marionette lines, and jaw line!

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm's results...

+1

Juvederm usually lasts up to eights months in most people.  Sometimes patients do not get the results they desire with the injection due to the depth of the folds, or it is possible that your body absorbs the juvederm faster than most.  Radiesse is a filler that can last up to a year or longer.  There is more in the syringe and it is thicker, so people are usually happy with the results, especially if the folds are deeper.  With fat transfer, we can put a lot more in the folds at any one time.  This result of fat transfer is built up over time with wonderful results.  Also remember that your cheeks may need to be lifted to take some of the heavyness off of the folds.  Consult your board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon to see what your best options would be.   

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for the folds

+1

Without seeing pre and post treatmentt photos it is difficult to say. I fyou have hanging cheek soft tissues that deepen your nasolabial folds( and I can not say for sure wihout seeing you in person)  you may be looking at the wrong thing to treat.  You may need a face lift?  Fold treatment alone with fillers in many cases by softening them not eliminating them with fillers is fine and this can be achieved with the hyaluronic acid fillers or Radiesse. 

How long will Juvederm last?

+1

There is always going to be some patient to patient variablity in how long fillers last.  The most common reason why patient satisfaction is fleeting with fillers is a result of undercorrection.  Without seeing before and after photos it is difficutl to comment on this.  That being said perhaps you would be more satifsfied with a longer acting filler such as Radiesse or Sculptra.

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

Other fillers available

+1

Each person's response to a particular filler varies and fillers are absorbed at different rates by different people.  Might want to try a non-Hyaluronic acid filler, such as Radiesse.  I have had a few patients who have been disappointed with Juvederm, but have had great success with Radiesse.  Works very well for nasolabial folds where the everlying skin is relatively thick, not so well elsewhere.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Longevity

+1

Different fillers last different amounts of time in different patients and in different areas of the face.  You may need a more robust filler such as Juvederm Ultra Plus, Perlane, or Radiesse.  Please go to an experienced injector as well.

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist