Does a Plastic Surgeon Have to Be Board Certified?

I recently went in for a consult with a surgeon regarding brazillian butt augmentation and breast implants and the pictures of before and after seem great but when I asked if he was board certified he said not but that been board certified is just one more star to a surgeon curriculum and that many surgeons who are board certified do a bad job. I'm very confuse as I should trust him with my surgery or not.

Board-certification

+2

Certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery is a sign that a plastic surgeon has met certain requirements, training, ethical standards, and experience. Can a board-certified plastic surgeon do a "bad" job. Of course. Can a non-board-certified plastic surgeon be a genius? Of course. But elective surgery is all about reducing your risk and increasing your chance of success. I would ask around about your plastic surgeon. Some are just out of residency and are not eligible to be board-certified. So at least he/she should be board-eligible. Inquire from actual patients. Photos in my opinion are nearly worthless since they do not say if a patient is satisfied or was treated well. Talk to your personal physician, and especially gynecologist. They know, or can find out, the reputation of local plastic surgeons.

You need a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

+2

There are so many bogus doctors out there praying on the unsuspecting patient.  It is really a terrible shame.  If you want real, honest and excellent care first find a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (not just "board certified" as you need to know in WHAT they are certified).  Interview 2 or 3 and select the best.  But don't ever let a non-board certified doctor play down the value of being a real board certified plastic surgeon.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Board Certified

+1

Hello Good Morning , 
Absolutely it is in my opinion extremely important that the surgeon who pick is board certified as we have completed the required course of study, and have been accredited and have done the training and and have successfully passed the examination given to us and have been board certified. You must always look for a well prepared Doctor that counts with all his requirements being so board certified by not choosing a board certified surgeon you are at a very high risk for bad surgery. So be cautios this is your life , a bad Doctor can damage you for life. 

Regards !

Luis Suarez, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

You NEED a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

+1

Hi there-

I am VERY concerned about what this surgeon said to you, and would think (based on what he said) there is probably a reason he is not board certified.

It also makes me wonder if the photos you were shown were actually his own work.

I would be very worried, and do not think I could recommend a surgeon to a family member under these circumstances.

Here is some advice on how to find a surgeon you like and CAN trust:

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Board certified plastic surgeon

+1

If your doctor is a young plastic surgeon and going through the certification process, then it may be ok. But if he is not board ceritified and not in the process of certification, I would be cautious.

When choosing a board certified surgeon: Things to think about.

+1

Think about this: Are you sure the before and after photos were the surgeon's work,. If he was board certifed, they would have to be as well as meet certain criteria for standardization. If he was not board certfied, he could be showing you anyone's work, taken from the internet, and there would be few if any consequences to him/her. Choosing a board certifed surgeon means that surgeon is subject to ongoing scrutiny by his/her peers and can be disciplined for his/her actions. They are generally held to ah higher standard and must meet that standard.