Is it Possible to Have a Tummy Tuck if I Have an Arrhythmia?

I'm 35 years and scheduled to have a TT in 8 days, but, I keep having these weird sinking feelings in my chest as if my heart has skipped a beat, when I take my pulse and that feeling happens while I'm taking my pulse, my pulse skips! I am not a physician but this sounds like Arrhythmia, I told the Nurse and she thinks its just anxiety, BUT this has been happening for 3 months, I am going to my PCP to get an EKG, but time is winding down before my surgery and I'd like to if this will pose a risk

Yes if cleared by your physicians

+2
Many patients who are preparing for procedures under general anesthesia have some health issues, including heart conditions or even arrhytmias. In that case your surgeon should probably ask you to see your primary physician for surgery clearance. Usually that requires blood test and EKG done within 6 months before the surgery. Your primary physician will decide if you can undergo general anesthesia surgery based on your overall health history and results of the performed tests.  Or even consult a cardiologist. Please talk to your surgeon and  he will guide you through all your concerns and help you make the right decision The most important rule is safety of the patient . If everythings checks out and youyr condition is optimized before suurgery you might be a very good candidate for the surgery

Tummy tuck with an irregular heart beat

+2

Your instincts are correct, and the only sensible alternative is to contact your primary doctor and have the EKG to confirm that everything is a go for surgery. It may be anxiety, but best practice tells us we need to know. If the time pressure is concerning you, reschedule your procedure.

peterejohnsonmd

3 month history of irregular heart beats and scheduled tummy tuck in one week

+2

Since a tummy tuck is elective surgery, you will most probably need to cancel your surgery until a diagnosis can be made of your arrhythmia. You don't want to take major risks particularly if the rhythm is not a very benign one. Notify your plastic surgeon of this issue immediately.

Your PCP may find something on your EKG but ultimately you may even require a monitor being placed for a day or 2 to track these abnormal beats. They could represent what is called a PVC or even a PAC. Caffeine consumption can be associated with this issue.

At your age, although the risks for heart problems are low, they are not absolutely zero. A cardiologist may ultimately be needed to make the diagnosis and initiate treatment if warranted (including stopping drinking Starbucks coffee!).

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Irregular heart beat and tummy tuck

+2

If you have an irregular heart beat that is happening with regular frequency you really to have an evaluation by a cardiologist PRIOR to surgery.  Many patients have extra heart beats that are normal, these are called PVCs.  They occur at unpredictable times and most patients do not know they have happened.  They are harmless, however, there are other causes and patterns of irregular heart beat that must be addressed and evaluated.

Listen to that inner voice and have it checked out prior to any elective surgery.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Cardiac Arrythmia & Tummy Tuck

+2

The arrythmia which you sense may or may not be related to anxiety as suggested by your plastic surgeon's nurse.  However, since your tummy tuck is an entirely elective procedure which certainly can be postponed, I would strongly recommend a Cardiology consult prior to surgery.  The Cardiologist may require that wear a monitoring device for a 24-hour period before clearing you for sugery.

John Whitt, MD

Tummy Tuck and Arrythmias

+2

SInce your tummy-tuck is elective surgery, it would definitely be in your best interest to address any underlying issues prior to proceding with the surgery.  You are absolutely correct in pursuing the issue with your PCP and this should be done before your procedure.  It seems very unlikey that pre-opertive anxiety would cause this to persist for three months.  Good luck and remember, safety first.

Theodore Diktaban, MD, FACS

Pre op arrythmia

+2

This certainly does sound like anxiety, particularly in a 35 year old who has given no prior cardiac history.  It is best however to have this completely checked out before surgery. Good Luck

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Plastic surgery and cardiac issues

+2

The gold standard of arrhythmia diagnosis is an EKG.  "Sinking feelings" in the chest may or may not be related to the heart rhythm.  At 35, cardiac issues are unlikely.  But it is wise to sort these issues out prior to surgery.  Even if your surgery must be delayed, I would attain a thorough workup.  Because this surgery is elective, risks should be absolutely minimized.  Good luck!!

Jason R. Hess, MD

Skipped heart beats. What do they mean?

+2

The most likely cause of your irregular heart beat is PVC's (premature ventricular contractions) which is benign and should not interfere with surgery.  To know for sure this is the cause a work-up is necessary.  A visit with your PCP is an excellent idea and good planning on your part.  If he determines there is something more serious going on you may need to postpone your surgery.  Your surgeon should be made aware of the situation.  Don't assume the nurse told him.  Call and speak with him/her.  At your age I would anticipate a benign condition so remain hopeful. 

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Arrhythmia before tummy tuck

+2

You are correct to go to your PCP for a workup.  It is also important that your surgeon knows of your situation.  Make sure you have an adequate workup.  Any elective surgery can always be postponed.

Lawrence C. Lin, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon