Sleeping Position After Tummy Tuck, Breast Lift / Augmentation and Lipo

16 days ago I had a TT, BL on right side, BA, & LIPO. When can I start to sleep on my sides or back? My back is killing me at this point from sleeping reclined.

Sleeping position

+3

Though I would first ask your physicians office for their recommendation, we allow our patients to sleep on their sides as soon as they are comforatable.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Side sleeping after tummy tuck

+2

We like side sleeping the best after tummy tuck and breast augmentation. Curling up with a pillow over your chest will feel the most comfortable and relieve pressure from your back. I don't think anyone really sleeps sitting up in a recliner. If you are snug in a bra and binder you should be safe on your side.

peterejohnsonmd

Tummy tuck sleeping flat on back

+1

Dear CJ8 -- I tell my patient that at 2 weeks post op they should be walking straight (part of the day) and be able to sleep on their back in bed.  Although you should be able to sleep flat on your back at two weeks it helps to have a pillow under your knee to help relieve that tight sensation patients feel that tends to keep them awake.  Also at 2 weeks post op, I tell my patients that they can try to sleep on their sides and let pain be their guide.  These instructions have worked well for my patients for over 20 years that I have been in practice. 

Louise Ferland, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

It is ok to sleep on your side now

+1

Dear CJ8,

You should be able to sleep on your side at two weeks. I wouldn't sleep on your tummy yet because of the breast augmentation. If the tummy still feels tight, bend at the waist (fetal position). Good luck.

Best regards,

Lawrence Tong MD FACS FRCSC

Lawrence Tong, MD

Recovery following breast augmentation/ abdominoplasty

+1

At 16 days following the procedure, most sleeping positions are safe.  Initially following breast augmentation, most surgeons prefer patients sleep on their back with their head elevated.  This facilitates healing and reduces swelling.  At 16 days, there is very little risk of wound dehicense (wound opening).  But every surgeon is different.  My advice would be sleep how you're comfortable.  But, of course, check with your doc.  Good luck!

Jason R. Hess, MD

Sleep position

+1

Of course, you shuold ask your doctor, but I allow patients to sleep on their side early post-op after a tummy tuck.  As long as the legs are a bit flexed it should be okay.  Check with yoru surgeon.

Sleeping position after tummy tuck

+1

At 16 days postop, it should be able to sleep on your back or sides as long as it feels comfortable to you.  You can always add a few pillows to help.

Lawrence C. Lin, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping on your side

+1

At 16 days post -op, you should be able to lay flat on your back. This may be a little more comfortable for you versus sleeping at an incline. It is not recommended to sleep on your side during the first six weeks because you run the risk of turning while you are asleep and this can be a big problem. The breast incision can open up and lead to an infection or bleeding. I would ask your doctor before doing this. At 6 weeks post op, in most cases, your skin strength is back to 100% and you can sleep how ever you like.

Leo Lapuerta, MD