Physical Activities After Diastasis Recti Repair

Before having muscle weakness/diastasis recti I was very active (boxing, tumbling, track, basketball, running, jumping rope, and weight lifting). Will I be able to continue the activities stated above after Diastasis Recti repair and required healing time?

Physical activities after a diastasis recti repair

+2

A tummy tuck is a safe and effective procedure to contour the abdomen, create a tight waist, and remove extra skin, fat, and stretch marks.

In our practice, we perform tummy tucks in a wide variety of patients. Many patients who have a separation of the muscles receive a repair of the muscles at the same time. Patients who receive this treatment are told that they should wait 6 to 8 weeks to return to the gym and to slowly begin their exercise regimen. After surgery, patients learn that their bodies will often tell them what they can and cannot do we recommend that patients take it very easy and slowly increase their activities, weaving abdominal exercises last.

Diastasis repair and exercise

+2

When I repair a diastasis, patients can usually return to full acitivites in most cases by about 8 weeks. This includes push-ups, hevay lifting and even sit-ups as tolerated.

Activity after rectus diastasis repair

+1

Most patients can resume light activity (walking) within 2 weeks after a rectus diastasis repair. By 4 to 6 weeks the tissue is about 80% healed and most strenuous activity can be done safely after 6 to 8 weeks. Follow your Board Certified plastic surgeon's recommendations as each patient is unique. When you are cleared to resume each activity, start slowly and progress over a few weeks back to your level before surgery..

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Exercise After Repair of Diastasis

+1

Yes.  You will have to wait until your surgeon releases you back to physical activity without restrictions.  This usually occurs 6-8 weeks after surgery barring there were no complications.  You will from that point gradually increase your activity to a point where you were prior to surgery.  How soon you get that varies.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Recovery period following diastasis recti repair

+1

Thanks for the question.

Following diastasis recti repair, as a general rule, I recommend my patients wait no less than 8 weeks prior to returning to strenuous exercise.  Once this milestone is reached, normal physical activity may be resumed in gradual fashion with common sense encouraged.

Regards, 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Exercise after Tummy Tuck with muscle repair

+1

We generally recommend patients wear protect the muscle repair for 4 weeks before undergoing strenuous activities. After this time, we encourage patients to begin their normal routines gradually and common sense is the rule. Most of the healing that is required for incision and muscle repair strength occurs by the end of the third week.

Ankit Desai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Extreme Physical Activities May Be Resumed after Tummy Tuck

+1

After a sufficient period of time has passed for complete healing, I place no restrictions on the activities of my patients.  Some of the activities that you mentioned (tumbling, boxing, and weight lifting) would need to be postponed for 6-8 weeks.  I agree that the resumption of your stressful activities should be gradual rather than sudden.

John Whitt, MD

Recovery After Tummy Tuck (Rectus Diastasis Repair)

+1

I recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity (no exercise) for 4to  6 weeks after tummy tuck. After six weeks, I encourage patients to slowly resume exercise routines *gradually*. Remember, during the six week postoperative period - you will be deconditioned. I do prepare patients to notice some increased swelling once exercise is resumed. Over the next several weeks, this post-exercise edema will no longer manifest.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Returning to normal activity after a tummy tuck.

+1

You should be able to return to all regular activities after the appropriate healing time and the green light from your surgeon.