Perlane Vs Juvederm

Is Juvederm or Perlane is better for nasolabial folds? How long does each product last when used for naso labial folds (manufacturer ratings)?

Perlane v Juvederm

+4

This is a great question and one which will be answered differently by different physicians which should indicate to you that for the most part they are fairly equal. Remember that Juvederm has 2 different types (Ultra and Ultra Plus) They do not last equally in my experience and most will agree that Ultra Plus easily outlasts Ultra. Expect Perlane and Juvederm to last around 12 months. Both seem to stimulate your own natural collagen growth which may be why we see what appears to be even longer duration than manufacturer states. A recent study for Restylane which is almost identical to Perlane (made by the same company with same product just smaller particles) showed that a second injection resulted in significant improvement lasting well over one year for the nasolabial folds. They also found that your second injection often requires only half the amount that was needed for full correction on your first treatment. This is true for my patients and I have personally seem Restylane and perlane last over 2 years in some patients.

Boulder Dermatologist

They Are Both Good

+3

Hi Demason,

Perlane and Juviderm are both hyaluronic acid products that last for about 6 to 9 months in most patients’ nasolabial folds. Recent studies have shown that hyaluronic acid stimulates natural collagen production so that even when they wear off there is still improvement over the original fold. Other good fillers for the NLF are Radiesse, Evolence, Elevess, and likely many more to be released in the near future.

I would be very careful of "permanent" fillers as they have been associated with severe complications often times 2 to 4 years after the injections. Granulomas (scar tissue) that are extremely difficult to remove have resulted from the "permanent" fillers. Although it may seem more economical at the time, you'd be wise to avoid the cost of the multiple corrective surgeries, not to mention the facial deformities that may result from these fillers. Be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Perlane and Juvederm have several similarities, but important distinctions

+2

Both Perlane and Juvederm are great choices for treating the nasolabial folds.  They are both hyaluronic acids that last long, are very forgiving, and can be reversed if necessary.  Their use in different areas is largely up to the preference of the practitioner and patient.  However, there are some very important distinctions:

1. Juvederm  is probably better than Perlane for treating the lips as it has a silky almost liquid-like consistency.
  2. However, this same silkiness makes Juvederm not as suitable as Perlane for under the eyes, because it has a tendency to collect fluid and cause edema under the eyes.
  3.  Both Juvederm and Perlane are great  for non-surgical rhinoplasty.
  4. They are both great for the nasolabial folds, although I think it's much more important to treat the cheeks primarily than to treat the nasolabial folds.  When done correctly, treating the cheeks will support the eyes, and lift the cheeks, also improving the nasolabial folds.

Perlane and Juvederm both last about a year in all, however most of my patients are seen at 6 months, when half of the effects have faded.

In summary, they are both great products doing great things!  Good luck!

I am please with the results of both Perlane and Juvederm, for examples, please click the link below.

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm is better for subtle changes

+2

Perlane is a more dense dermal filler, it is used for larger volume restoration, or for filling deeper facial folds.

Juvederm formulations can be used for more subtle changes, such as defining a cupid’s bow, which Perlane cannot.

Renato Saltz, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Perlane vs Juvederm

+1

Both Juvederm and Perlane are hyaluronic acids that smooth away wrinkles, creases and folds but I prefer to use Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus for deep nasolabial folds.  Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus are made up of larger molecules that can penetrate and fill deeper areas.  You can expect Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus to last anywhere from 6-12 months, depending on the patient.  Juvederm is a great choice for lip augmentation, reduction of wrinkles and for contouring the face.  I hope this information helps! 

Paul L. Leong, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Vs Perlane

+1

Depending on whom you see you'll get different information, however, they both are very similar in duration and can last anywhere from 6 months to over a year.

Sam Naficy, MD

Perlane, Juvederm, Fill NLF's, Face Fillers

+1

That depends on how deep your NLF's are.  For superficial folds, either Juvederm, Restylane or Perlane are all suitable.  Restylane and Juvederm are smaller molecule fillers meant to be placed within the layers of the skin for more superficial folds, lines and around the lips.  Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus are larger molecules that must be placed below the skin within the deeper subcutaneous fatty tissues for the correction of deeper folds or to shape the Cheeks, Chin and Jaw Line.  IMO, Perlane is one of the best fillers and has a very wide range of application in the face.

Perlane vs Juvederm

+1

Perlane is the thicker form of a hyaluronic acid based filler which is compared to the thicker form of Juvederm which is Juvederm Ultra Plus.    Both of these now come with lidocaine local anesthetic already mixed in and are called Perlane-L and Juvederm Ultra Plus XC.   These new forms are much less painful.

Robert A. Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Perlane vs juvederm

+1

If you want to compare Perlane to juvederm ultra plus, I think that they are very similar products and will last about the same amount of time.

Perlane should last more than one month

+1

Perlane is designed for deeper planes than Restylane or Juvederm but if it is injected too deep, it won't stay around to support the skin. You may need more filler and you can try Juvederm or Restylane done more superficially.

Ronald Shelton, MD