Perlane Vs Juvederm Ultra Plus - Best Filler for Nasolabial Folds?

I have pretty deep nasolabial folds. My injector has offered me my choice of fillers. I would prefer Perlane or Juvederm Ultra Plus, both of which he said would be good choices for me. (I don't really want to try Radiesse quite yet since that one can't be dissolved if I don't like the results). Which of those 2 fillers do most doctors think lasts longer? Does anybody have a good reason for preferring one of those over the other? I can't find any comparisons online. Thanks!

Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus are competitors and are...

Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus are competitors and are designed to be an alternative to Retylane and Juvderm Ultra. They are all hyaluronic acid fillers, and so are not permanent, but both Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus are a bit thicker (more dense) so they last longer. In my experience, you can expect each to last anywhere from 9 to 12 months. I don't think there is a significant difference in terms of how long they last. What is more important is the technique of injection: if it is injected too deep, you will not really see much of a difference. If it is injected too shallow, then you may see some bumpiness or even some changes in the color of the overlying skin. So this is what I would recommend to you:

1) Either product will work well, as long as your injector is experienced

2) Ask to see some before and after photos of patients that the doctor has injected in the past

3) This area tends to be uncomfortable without some sort of anesthetic, either topical or an injection (I usually will numb the whole area well so that I can really mold the product into place once I inject it, so the patient will not be uncomfortable)

4) Don't be surprised if you need 2 or 3 syringes to get the desired effect, in particular if you have very deep folds

Hope that helps!

Dr. S

Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus are equally good for deeper nasolabial correction.

Suzel,

Do not spend too much more time trying to research to find out which is better. The reason you can't find an easy answer is that it probably doesn 't make a predictable difference. As the other doctors have said, the Juvederm family of fillers tend to come with less in each syringe, so you may get more for your dollar with Perlane if the syringes from both companies cost the same to you. The syringes are also different shapes and different physicians have personal preferences and comfort levels.

I do not agree that in Manhattan Juvederm is preferrred. I think overall there is good equality and it's all personal preference. Go with what your doctor is comfortable with if you are comfortable with the training and experience of your doctor!

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Perlane or Juvederm Ultra Plus

Pepsi or Coke?

I have used both and found no clear winner. The Juvederm comes in a 0.7 cc syringe, the Perlane in a 1 cc syringe. Both last a similar length of time. Personally, I would gauge which of them was more cost effective depending on how many syringes were needed to correct the folds.

Perlane vs. Juviderm Ultra Plus

Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus are thicker forms of a dermal filler call Hyaluronic acid which are often used for deeper facial lines such as the Nasolabial folds (line from the nose to the lip sometimes called smile line) and marionette lines near the corners of the mouth.

Although the competing companies that produce these fillers each claim their product is the best I have found them to be very similar. They usually last about 9 months with the first injection and depending on how deep the lines are one or two vials may be needed with each injection.

Interestingly, I find with the second and third return visits patients need less volume and their results tend to last longer, so it appears you don't start over each time you are injected.

Key Points:

1. Make sure your plastic surgeon numbs the area before injection. A dental block is easily applies and the procedure should be painless. There is no reason to suffer during these injections in this day and age.

2. Ask about experience with these products. The injector should use both frequently as lumps can occur if they are not injected at the correct level. (deeper than Restylane or Juvederm ultra)

3. If a lump occurs, don't panic. They can be easily corrected with massage or a simple injection of Hyaluronidase which dissolves the lump.

4. Overall my patients tend to be very happy with these two products and become repeat customers.

5. Sometimes when fillers are not enough a lifting procedure such as a cheek lift or Facelift may be a consideration instead of or in addition to dermal fillers

Perlane VS Juvederm for nasolabial folds

I prefer Juvederm for the nasolabial folds.  In most cases, the cheaper Juvederm Ultra is good enough.  But with certain people with heavier smile lines, I will use the Ultra Plus
The reason why I prefer Juvederm to Perlane in this area is that I have found that it attracts more water (hydrophilic) and I need to use less product.  Therefore, it can be more cost effective for my patients.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Perlane vs Juvederm Ultra Plus for NLF

Pretty much, all fillers can be used for the NLF. The duration is probably about the same.  I really think that leaving it up to the doctor to decide is the best method.  Using cannulas for injections is safer, less bruising, and less swelling and is all I use for this area.  

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Juvederm VS. Perlane

Juvederm ultra plus and perlane are very similar. They are both hyaluronic acid fillers, tend to last approximately 9-12 months and provide more volume than regular juvderm and restylane. Your provider may prefer one of another but what matters most is their injection technique and proper placement for optimal results.

Ava Shamban, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Perlane vs Juvederm Ultra Plus for Nasolabial folds

Both products are hyaluronic acids but both are thicker versions of the smaller sibling, Restylane vs. Juvederm Ultra, respectively.  For nasolabial folds, either one is fine and if you're under the age of 45 it probabaly doesn't matter too much.  Juvederm Ultra Plus will give you 9-12 months and Perlane 15-18 months but expect a touch up at 4 months to make it last the full time.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Perlane vs Juvederm

It's difficult to say definitively without looking at your photos or seeing you in-person, however if this is your first time having fillers injected, it's unlikely that the product should be injected directly into your nasolabial folds.  Deep nasolabial folds are often a sign of volume loss elsewhere on the face, and injecting directly into the folds without correcting the underlying volume loss requires a lot of filler, and often leads to a unnatural, overfilled look in the central face.  I would recommend that you seek out a second opinion from highly-skilled injector before proceeding with treatment.

As far as specific products are concerned, Juvederm Voluma is an excellent option for replacing volume in the face and softening and lifting the nasolabial folds and jawline.  It lasts for over 2 years, and may be an excellent option for you.  Please see a cosmetic dermatologist to discuss Juvederm Voluma as well as your other treatment options to determine what would work best for you.

Jody Comstock, MD
Tucson Dermatologic Surgeon

Both Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus Work Well for Smile Lines and Marionette Lines

Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus in the United States are the most robust hyaluronic acid-based, volumizing fillers currently available. In Europe, Canada and Israel, where I have a satellite practice, many other far more robust and longer lasting hyaluronic acid volumizers, such as Juvederm Voluma, Restylane SubQ and Stylage XXL are regulatory agency approved and available

Although Perlane and Juvederm UltraPlus XC may be used for similar purposes, I have found that owing to their particular gel characteristics, Perlane works better for giving lift to more deeply depressed areas and Juvederm serves better for achieving smoother contouring and blending. For that reason, I sometimes combine the use of both. For example, for the deep triangles on the sides of the nose, I might use Perlane L and for the remainder of the smile line Juvederm Ultra Plus XC. I might similarly inject Perlane L for the immediate corners of the mouth and Juvederm for the remainder of the marionette ("sad") lines. 

It is important to consult with a board certified aesthetic physician with experience using all the available materials. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD