Perlane Vs Juvederm Ultra Plus - Best Filler for Nasolabial Folds?

I have pretty deep nasolabial folds. My injector has offered me my choice of fillers. I would prefer Perlane or Juvederm Ultra Plus, both of which he said would be good choices for me. (I don't really want to try Radiesse quite yet since that one can't be dissolved if I don't like the results). Which of those 2 fillers do most doctors think lasts longer? Does anybody have a good reason for preferring one of those over the other? I can't find any comparisons online. Thanks!

Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus are competitors and are...

+4

Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus are competitors and are designed to be an alternative to Retylane and Juvderm Ultra. They are all hyaluronic acid fillers, and so are not permanent, but both Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus are a bit thicker (more dense) so they last longer. In my experience, you can expect each to last anywhere from 9 to 12 months. I don't think there is a significant difference in terms of how long they last. What is more important is the technique of injection: if it is injected too deep, you will not really see much of a difference. If it is injected too shallow, then you may see some bumpiness or even some changes in the color of the overlying skin. So this is what I would recommend to you:

1) Either product will work well, as long as your injector is experienced

2) Ask to see some before and after photos of patients that the doctor has injected in the past

3) This area tends to be uncomfortable without some sort of anesthetic, either topical or an injection (I usually will numb the whole area well so that I can really mold the product into place once I inject it, so the patient will not be uncomfortable)

4) Don't be surprised if you need 2 or 3 syringes to get the desired effect, in particular if you have very deep folds

Hope that helps!

Dr. S

Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus are equally good for deeper nasolabial correction.

+2

Suzel,

Do not spend too much more time trying to research to find out which is better. The reason you can't find an easy answer is that it probably doesn 't make a predictable difference. As the other doctors have said, the Juvederm family of fillers tend to come with less in each syringe, so you may get more for your dollar with Perlane if the syringes from both companies cost the same to you. The syringes are also different shapes and different physicians have personal preferences and comfort levels.

I do not agree that in Manhattan Juvederm is preferrred. I think overall there is good equality and it's all personal preference. Go with what your doctor is comfortable with if you are comfortable with the training and experience of your doctor!

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Perlane or Juvederm Ultra Plus

+2

Pepsi or Coke?

I have used both and found no clear winner. The Juvederm comes in a 0.7 cc syringe, the Perlane in a 1 cc syringe. Both last a similar length of time. Personally, I would gauge which of them was more cost effective depending on how many syringes were needed to correct the folds.

Perlane vs. Juviderm Ultra Plus

+2

Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus are thicker forms of a dermal filler call Hyaluronic acid which are often used for deeper facial lines such as the Nasolabial folds (line from the nose to the lip sometimes called smile line) and marionette lines near the corners of the mouth.

Although the competing companies that produce these fillers each claim their product is the best I have found them to be very similar. They usually last about 9 months with the first injection and depending on how deep the lines are one or two vials may be needed with each injection.

Interestingly, I find with the second and third return visits patients need less volume and their results tend to last longer, so it appears you don't start over each time you are injected.

Key Points:

1. Make sure your plastic surgeon numbs the area before injection. A dental block is easily applies and the procedure should be painless. There is no reason to suffer during these injections in this day and age.

2. Ask about experience with these products. The injector should use both frequently as lumps can occur if they are not injected at the correct level. (deeper than Restylane or Juvederm ultra)

3. If a lump occurs, don't panic. They can be easily corrected with massage or a simple injection of Hyaluronidase which dissolves the lump.

4. Overall my patients tend to be very happy with these two products and become repeat customers.

5. Sometimes when fillers are not enough a lifting procedure such as a cheek lift or Facelift may be a consideration instead of or in addition to dermal fillers

David L. Mobley, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Both Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus Work Well for Smile Lines and Marionette Lines

+1

Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus in the United States are the most robust hyaluronic acid-based, volumizing fillers currently available. In Europe, Canada and Israel, where I have a satellite practice, many other far more robust and longer lasting hyaluronic acid volumizers, such as Juvederm Voluma, Restylane SubQ and Stylage XXL are regulatory agency approved and available

Although Perlane and Juvederm UltraPlus XC may be used for similar purposes, I have found that owing to their particular gel characteristics, Perlane works better for giving lift to more deeply depressed areas and Juvederm serves better for achieving smoother contouring and blending. For that reason, I sometimes combine the use of both. For example, for the deep triangles on the sides of the nose, I might use Perlane L and for the remainder of the smile line Juvederm Ultra Plus XC. I might similarly inject Perlane L for the immediate corners of the mouth and Juvederm for the remainder of the marionette ("sad") lines. 

It is important to consult with a board certified aesthetic physician with experience using all the available materials. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Perlane and Juvederm comparisons

+1

Both products can be used to replace volume loss, so it's a matter of personal choice. They both have comparable longevity and efficacy. Be sure you are receiving treatment from a well-trained and experienced injector and you should enjoy favorable results from either product.

Sam Naficy, MD

When using a microcannula, any filler works well for the nasolabial folds.

+1

Okay, the short answer to your question is they are probably equally good for treating your nasolabial fold.  They are both a little thicker than Restylane and Juvederm Ultra.  I will tell you that in my practice, about 80% of the time, when people come in for nasolabial folds, what they really need is to have some cheek bone augmentation to held inflate the cheeks.  This naturally lifts the cheek skin, improving the folds.  I will then place a smaller amount of filler into the folds.

But the big news is a new tool called a microcannula!  Using this tool, the nasolabial fold can be micro dissected making small tunnels within the fold and placing filler at the same time.  This ends up really eradicating the folds in a way that wasn't possible before.  It's very exciting!

Good luck finding information!

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Which is the best filler to use: Juvaderm Ultra Plus or Perlane?

+1

The short answer is: whichever one you get the best deal on.  As you can see from the answers to your question, both are very similar HA (hyaluronic acid) fillers and last about the same amount of time, 6-9 months.  So, find a good plastic surgeon and use the one that saves you money.  Most offices, like ours, will carry both products. 

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Perlane, Juvederm, Fill NLF's, Face Fillers

+1

Perlane or Juvederm Ultra PLus are both great choices for deep NLF's.  We use both but I prefer how Perlane feels in the tissues and how beautifully it molds into place, so I'd vote for Perlane.  I also use lots of Radiesse but unless patients insist on it because it lasts longer, I try to avoid using it in the NLF's.  When patients smile after radiesse in their NLF's, you can sometimes see the line of Radiesse under the skin which doesn't happen when using Perlane.

Perlane Vs. Juvederm Ultra Plus

+1

Juvederm Ultra Plus and Perlane are both excellent products for injecting moderate to deep Nasolabial folds.  They are nearly the same product made by competing companies.  You should make your decision based upon injector preference and price point - depending on the number of syringes needed.  You should be aware of the fact that Juvederm comes in a 0.8cc syringe and Perlane comes in an overfilled 1.0cc syringe (nearly 1.2 cc of product).

Dr. Grant Stevens    

Grant Stevens, MD