Do I Have to Pay for Revision Rhinoplasty?

I had rhinoplasty a year ago. My nostrils are significantly uneven and I am not happy with the overall result. My surgeon removed more skin from the left side. It's uneven to the point that other people notice looking straight at my face. My surgeon said he can do a revision however, he is charging me more than the first time since I now have scar tissue. Is that the norm? I think he made an error when he did the surgery and he should waive the surgeon's fee.

Payment for Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

Every surgeon has their own philosophy about charges for a revision rhinoplasty on their own patient. This will not help you, but patients should discuss their surgeon's policy before surgery. However , most surgeons will not charge as much to revise one of their own rhinoplasties.

Revision rhinoplasty

+2

Every surgeon is different in regards to their policy for revision.  Go get a second opinion to be sure you want to do this.

You may benefit from a second opinion regarding Revision Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+2

Since your surgeon would be charging you, and since you're not satisfied with the nose job he performed, consider getting a second opinion. If you want opinions from the RealSelf experts, you may want to address your concerns with photos attached.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

A picture is needed.

+2

Your surgeon may be telling you something by charging more this time than the first and that is he may not think surgery is needed and by charging you more he hopes that you go somewhere else. If the problem is a result of the surgery then it is common not to charge the surgeons fee again, if it is something that can happen with any surgery and is from the surgery then a smaller fee may be in order. If it is something that was not treated during the first surgery then another fee may be reasonable.   

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

What does revision rhinoplasty cost?

+1

The major determinant factor is who is doing the surgery. If its the same doctor, then its common practice to either waive the fee or charge only for the overhead costs, facility and anesthetic fee. If its a new surgeon, unfortunately the cost is usually considerably more than the first surgery for two reasons. Revision surgery is more difficult and hence takes longer and the revision surgeon is usually more experienced and skilled.

Oakley Smith, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty Fee

+1

Hello Gudiya,

Every doctors philosophy is different regarding the fees that they charge for a revision surgery on one of their own patients.  Sometimes they waive their fee or reduce it, but there still may be an operating room and anesthesia fee. I hope this helps you to make your decision. 

Dr. David Alessi

David Alessi, MD

Trust is a must.

+1

I think some of my colleagues here have hinted that there is a problem in all of this - your relationship with your surgeon is damaged.  Clearly, you are not happy with what they did for you and your surgeon feels that he/she should be compensated to fix what they did.  You are probably not happy with any of this since you already paid for what you consider to be an inadequate result.  In this situation, I urge you to seek more opinions. 

Take note that primary rhinoplasty is almost always easier than a revision, so if your surgeon was not able to reach your goals with the primary, the likelihood that this will happen with revision is lower.  Someone else even said that the fact that your surgeon wants to charge you so much may be their way of trying to make you go elsewhere without having to tell you they can't or don't want to help you.

I wish you all the best...be very selective before you decide to undergo more surgery.

Paul K. Holden, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Costs for revision rhinoplasty

+1

Don't want to know who your surgeon is.  It looks like from your description that a major revision is in order, not a minor touch up.  A minor touch up is further smoothing down a small irregularity along the dorsum or narrowing the nostrils.  If the nose is off center, it sounds like a major revision.  Revision rhinoplasty is more expensive than primary rhinoplasty.  However, I really don't charge a professional fee for minor touch-ups for my patients.  I cannot speak to the estimate given to you by your surgeon.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon