Is It Possible That Part of the Bone Between my Eyes is Missing on One Side After Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I've noticed that it feels like the bone between my eyes is missing on one side. On the left, I can feel a strong solid bridge extending to my forehead. On the right, there's a cavity/ depression in the space between where my nose and forehead meet. I had a wide bridge, so it was narrowed during the surgery, but is it possible that the surgeon took out part of the bone? When I press my finger into the cavity, I can feel it reach all the way past the centerline of my nose! What is going on?!

Missing Bone After Rhinoplasty? #nosejob

+1

Thanks for your question. I grew up in Atlanta so it's nice to talk to a fellow southerner. My thought are in line with my colleagues. You could have had an uneven fracture at the time of surgery. Sometimes we do remove bone in this area if there is too much. If it is not a visible deformity and it causes no functional problem to your nose I would forget about it. Glabella skin, the skin between the eyes, is so thick that usually you can not see the abnormality that you feel. Just communicate with your surgeon. There are things that can be done if there is a visible deformity.

Missing bone after Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

It seems from the image the way you are pressing the part of the nose where there could be missing bone that it has not left any cosmetic deformity.In that case it does not matter even if the bone is missing or displaced.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Missing bone following a rhinoplasty?

+1

You mentioned that you had a wide nasal base and this was reduced during your rhinoplasty surgery.  In order to reduce the nasal base the nasal bone is fractured.  This is a controlled fracture and can be done either externally or internally.  The fracture is done to smooth the nasal dorsum and narrow the bony nasal base.  It is possible that the bone has formed sort of a trap door and has not healed properly and this is why you can displace it medially.  A nasal x ray could help determine if the bone is absent, which is unlikely.  You did not mention how how long ago your surgery was performed.  Mention your concerns to your surgeon, he or she is in the position to explain what you are feeling.   

Rhinoplasty and Missing Bone

+1

Although this question is impossible to fully answer without a physical examination, there may be some asymmetry in your nasal bones after Rhinoplasty. As Dr. Schwartz mentioned, the presence of absence of bone in this area only matters if it leaves a visible cosmetic defect.  Since the skin is so thick in the area shown (nasion/glabella), it is unlikely to be of consequence.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bone missing?

+1

It's possible but if there is no visible deformity then don't worry about it. If there is some type of depression or deformity then talk to your surgeon about options.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Breaking nasal bones can lead to irregularities

+1

When the nasal bones are fractured, it is possible for the fracture to comminute (shatter) and the smaller pieces can fall in centrally leaving a defect. How does the nose look when you are not pressing on it? If it looks fine I wouldn't worry about it. If you can see a dent, sometimes a filler, like Radiesse, can be effective in helping the appearance and/or the feel of the nose.

Good luck.

John Alexander II, MD

Missing Nasal Bone after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is possible to remove too much bone or to displace a portion of bone and move it to another anatomic position at the time of surgery. Address your concerns with your plastic surgeon. A definitive way to determine if bone is missing is to have your nose x-rayed. 

Thanks for your question and photos. Best of Luck!

Gregory Park, MD