Painful Lump/ridge After Tummy Tuck And Hematoma? (photo)

I am currently 3 weeks and 3 days post op from a full tummy tuck. Right after the surgery I had a hematoma on my left side. Ever since I have had a hard, painful, lump/ridge along & above the incision on my left side. I will include a picture but it's not really something you can SEE, its just a firm, painful mass. My PS says "it could be anything". I would really appreciate some answers. Thank you.

Hematoma

+1

I suspect that since you state you had a hematoma then your mass is most likely residual blood.  My experience is that relatively small hematomas typically will resolve over time and not necessarily require any treatment.  Massage can be helpful.  Heat may be of benefit but you need to check with your physician first to be certain you don't risk burning your numb skin or create other problems.  Work with your doctor and I think your final result will not be significantly affected by this issue.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma after Tummy Tuck

+1

I have seen this happen a few times after a tummy tuck procedure.  The question is whether you have a seroma (fluid) or hematoma (blood) under the skin.  If your surgeon thinks this is residual blood (hematoma) the best course of action is to wait for at least six weeks prior to going back with liposuction under local anesthesia and suctioning the liquified blood our of the wound. If you go back too early the dried blood is too hard to suck out, and if you wait too long it can calcify and harden under the skin and leave a permanent mass.

In the meantime, use a warm heat pad and massage the area to help with breaking down the blood clot.  Hope this helps.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon