Pain at Night After Breast Augmentation?

I seem to only have pain at night, and I'm almost 3 weeks post-op. I think I am sleeping on my back. I fall asleep on my back and wake up on my back. I feel bruised up in the morning when I get out of bed, take Tylenol, and then it's ok. What cold I do?

Breasts In Pain In The Mornings After Breast Augmentation

+1

Dear Jackie,

At 3 weeks post-op, you are at an early stage in the recovery race and what you have been experiencing is not uncommon.

When you are sleeping at night, your implants tend to push outward to your sides (lateral pressure) towards your arms; that will result in sore muscles and some pain that is apparently resolving using Tylenol.

Therefore, I recommend that you consult with your physician on wearing a surgical bra when you sleep for a short period of time. Also, it is imperative that you keep on massaging your implants as your surgeon's instructs.

I hope you will feel better pretty soon.

Thank you for your inquiry and congratulations on the surgery.

Dr. Sajjadian

Pain after breast augmentation

+1

Several patients report that they have stiff pain when they wake up from sleep, especially on the lateral sides of the breast.  It is most likely due to the fact that implants are pusching laterally while asleep and your muscles get stiff as they are inactive at night.  The pain should go away pretty soon.  Meanwhile, I would recommen wearing surgical bra/sports bra at night and massaing the implants.  Please talk with your plastic surgeon to discuss his/her postoperative instructions.

Sugene Kim, MD