Pain in Right Flank Area After Lipo

I had lipo under general anesthesia on June 4th. All is good so far but of course the usual swelling & soreness. But I have a sharp stabbing pain on my right side flank area which was lipo'd. Only when I bend that way or touch the area. What could it possibly be?

Pain in right flank area after lipo

Pain in right flank area after lipo is most likely residual blood in the muscle. It will improve over the next 2 months.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Pain in the flank after liposuction

Your pain may be general healing, but because of the symptoms and its location, you should see your surgeon to make sure there is no pneumothorax or air in the cavity surrounding the lung. If you are short of breath then go to the emergency room but let your surgeon know.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Lipo discomfort

Without examining you I couldn't be sure, but it is common for patients to have discomfort after lipo and this can be sharp shooting pains or even electricity like sensations.

Pain after lipo

You are still very early after your surgery and not uncommon to have some pain.  This can be on one side more than the other.  There is some numbness that is part of the surgery and tingling and shooting pains that happen as well.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Pain, tingling, "pins & needles" after liposuction

Commonly after liposuction, you will experience numbness due to a condiiton called a neuropraxia. As the nerves recover you may experience pain, tingling, pins & needles, etc. These are called dysesthesias. IT is not uncommon to occur more on one side than the other. Typically this is most active 10-20 days after surgery and will likely resolve on its own. As always, you should discuss this with your surgeon to make sure there are no other possible treatable causes.