How Much Swelling and Bruising is Normal After Abdominal Lipo?

I'm 5 days post lipo of my abdomin. I have minor bruising around my ribs, but my pubic area is totally black, like all the blood has pooled there. I am so swollen I can't put my jeans on. I can get up and move around, but if I'm up for any length of time the swelling gets much worse. Is this normal

Swelling and bruising happens

+1

This can happen.  Clearly this is a difficult problem. There is very little to other than use the compression garment. Icing the area gently can help provide relief. I also use antiinflammatory medications for patients with swelling as you are describing. You should ask your doctor for their thoughts.

Bruising and swelling after liposuction

+1

Lower abdominal liposuction allows the fluid from the anesthetic and then surgical swelling to move by gravity to the pubic area and the groin. Bruising is extremely common and expected in the scrotum, and the labia. The coloration can be dark red, purple or black. The color should be gone by three to five weeks, but if you have a concern and the discomfort is troubling, then you should see your surgeon for reassurance.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Swelling after lipo

+1

It is very common to have swelling after abdominal liposuction that goes into dependent areas such as the pubic region. This usually gets better after a few weeks.

Not an uncommon problem

+1

After the first time I liposuctioned the pubic area, I was quite startled on how "purple" things got. Reason for this is that the pubic area of skin is not firmly attached to the tissue below and allows blood to pool. In addition, most compressive garments don't adequately compressed this area, especially those that have a crotch opening. For this reason everything is compressed except for the suprapubic area , vulva, and in men, the scrotum. It usually resolves within 1-2 weeks but it's better to warn the patient ahead of time than to try to explain it to them after the surgery.

Joseph M. Perlman, MD