Pain Under Crown Months After Root Canal?

I had a root canal performed on one of my molars in November of 2012. They covered the tooth with a porcelain crown. 8 months later I am experiencing extreme sensitivity to cold and a constant throbbing. Every couple of days I have a shooting pain that subsides with the help of ibuprofen. Is it possible that my root canal wasn't completed properly of thoroughly? Or are these signs of an infection under the crown?

Tooth Pain After Root Canal

+1

Though it is rare, there are times when a tooth that has had a root canal can produce discomfort.  One of several things could be happening.

1.  The tooth has an accessory (extra) nerve that is small and perhaps was not found.

2.  The tooth has a crack that is usually between the roots.

3.  The existing crown may not be fitting as well as it could.  

I would have your dentist do an evaluation and take an X-ray.  He/she can then give you  possible causes of the pain and solutions to correct it.  Good luck.   

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Can tooth still hurt after root canal?

+1

When a tooth hurts after root canal, Several factors may be involved . If temperature sensitivity or pain exists, its either another tooth next to the tooth in question, or an accessory or main nerve still exits in the tooth and the root canal needs to be retreated. If temperature does not cause any throbbing pain then a crack in the tooth, and a in ill fitting crown could cause it. 

I suggest you first see a root canal specialist.( endodontist)-

Good luck

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

See an endodontist

+1

Hard to say what is happening.  It is possible that the tooth is cracked and not savable.  But before you extract it, you should see what is up.  Best to be seen by an endodontist.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Pain after root canal

+1

It is difficult to say without an exam but there may be many different kinds of issues.  The crown could be to bulky or not fitting well. The root canal can be incomplete. The pain may even be coming from another tooth. I would see your dentist immediately to resolve this issue so that you do not continue to remain in pain.

Lilya Horowitz, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

+1

It sounds like one of the nerve canals was overlooked, or incomplete removal of found nerves. Have your dentist take an xray for signs of infection and have the rootcanal redone right through the crown.

Murray Bruckel, DDS
Norwalk Cosmetic Dentist

Pain under crown after root canal.

+1

It is possible that one of the canals was missed when the root canal was done if the tooth is sensitive to cold.  It is also possible that an adjacent tooth is causing the sensitivity.  It can be very hard to localize pain from cold because of the type of nerve fiber that perceives the pain.  

Ira Shapira, DDS
Lake Forest Cosmetic Dentist