Are Porcelain Pin Inserts on Front Teeth Crowns Necessary or a Good Idea? (photo)

I just got a 2nd root canal on my other front tooth and now I am getting 2 crowns on my 2 front teeth to make them stronger and permanent. The dr. I am seeing here in Korea wants to put a porcelain pin in the canal of each of my front teeth to make them stronger. Is this necessary? He wants to take out the filling of the other front tooth that I had a root canal on 3 years ago in order to insert the pin. Understanding the need of this is difficult bc of the language barrier. Any info about this?

Posts are a good idea!

+1

Hi Kelsey...since you have 30% of the tooth structure left, it seems that your dentist's recommendation of placing posts in the crowns will help strengthen them. Your front teeth experience a lot of force and stress and you want the crowns to last. I would go with what he recommends! 

Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Pins

+1

It is not necessary, however it is very preferable treatment choice!! 9/10 times many doctors choose this treatment route. The doctor you are seeing whats to make sure the connection between yout root canal and future crown is as strong as possible.

Svetlana Novak, DMD
Natick Cosmetic Dentist

Depends on how much tooth you have left

+1

Hi there,

Whether you need a pin (post) or not really depends on how much tooth you have left. If there is not enough to support a crown, your dentist may recommend placing a post in the tooth. For front teeth it is a good idea (if indicated of course) since front teeth experience a lot of shearing forces and you do not want the tooth to break inside the crown. Good luck.

Aria Irvani, DDS
Irvine Cosmetic Dentist

Fiber glass post

+1

It is probably a fiber glass post.  Porcelain would fracture.  It is necessary in bicuspids and anterior teeth, otherwise the crown can fracture at the neckline due to lateral movements.

No worries.

Victor Sanz, DDS
Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Pin Inserts

+1

The "pins" that you are describing are called "posts" and they serve to reinforce the teeth and reduce the chance of fracture.  A well made crown should last a minimum of 10 years, and with good oral hygiene and regular dental cleanings, should not affect the gum

Murray Bruckel, DDS
Norwalk Cosmetic Dentist