Will I Need an Overnight Stay?

I am having a full abdominalplasty, with lipo in the stomach, flanks and back. Along with breast lift and augmentation. Will I need to stay over night? And my dr said he will put me on blood thinners after is that normal?

Overnight Stay

+2

While different surgeons have different preferences, the norm would be to perform the surgery in an outpatient basis. However, careful thought should be done to ensure whether the multiple procedures should be performed on the same day. You may benefit from having the surgery done in stages separating the body contouring and breast enhancement.

Too much surgery at one sitting

+2

I am not in favor of so much surgery at one sitting.  I feel that doing the abdominoplasty plus a lift with implants is more than enough surgery for one day.  I would then come back and do the lipo at a separate sitting.  Or you cold do the lipo and breast and then have a tummy tuck.  I do not use blood thinners like lovenox unless a patient is high risk and I do recommend staying overnight either at a recovery facility, hospital or the doctors' overnight suite.  Good luck with your surgery.  Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Overnight stay after cosmetic surgery

+2

You do not have to stay overnight. But your surgeon needs a back-up plan in case you hurt too much to go home.

You may be having too much at one time. Why? Pain and length of surgery. 

• You hurt a lot after a tummy tuck.  
  • You hurt a lot after breast augmentation, if implants go under the muscle.
  • Your back hurts after back liposuction. You can't move. Blood clot risk rises.
  • Then there's the length of your surgery. Unless you are very thin, this can't be done in 6 hours. Risks including blood clots rise with length of surgery. 
  • I don't use blood thinners. They decrease blood clots but increase bleeding. It's safer just to have less surgery.

Consider asking your surgeon about doing the back liposuction another time.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Blood thinners after abdominoplasty

+2

Recent literature suggests that the risk of clotting (DVT and/or PE) is higher in abdominoplasty patients than with other plastic surgery procedures, thus, your doctor may want you to be on blood thinners for a short period of time after your surgery. You should discuss his/her reasoning in light of what you are having done and your medical history. A stay overnight after surgery depends greatly on this information as well.

M. Susann Bedford, MD

Time lasting operation time lasting into the hospital

+2

yes i completely agree with your surgeon it is veery adecquated his behavior  with you that speacks than you got  an ethical and actualized  excelent surgeon, trust in him please

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Overnight stay

+2
My patients go home on the day of surgery but let me say that I try to operate responsibly and not to squeeze as many procedures as possible into one surgical session. I would not perform liposuction of the back at the same time as an augment/pexy. In terms of blood thinners, this is also not part of my regimen. You haven't indicated a medical history of clotting so I would like to know the reason for this recommendation as these drugs have complications in and of themselves. If it is related to the amount of surgery being performed, then I would recommend that you discuss this with your internist prior to proceeding. In NY, patients may not stay over except in an accredited hospital setting, not in a physician's office.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

To Stay or Not to Stay

+2

Thank you for your question.  Your surgeon would be able to assess whether or not you should spend the night after surgery.  Please ask him or her.  In my practice, most everyone who undergoes that much surgery does spend the night in my facility with a Registered Nurse (RN).  As far as blood thinnners goes, you would need to ask your surgeon if you are at high risk for blood clots.  If you are not a high risk, then blood thinners are not indicated.  Hope this helps.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Overnight stay after Tummy Tuck procedure

+1

The majority of cosmetic plastic surgery is now performed as outpatient procedure. Over 98% of our tummy tuck or Abdominoplasty procedures are performed as outpatient. However, if you are undergoing multiple procedures, your Plastic Surgeon may recommend an overnight stay. It also depends on your overall health. If you have multiple medical conditions, it may be better to stage your procedures. Personally, I am not in favor of too much surgery at the same just to save a buck. Your safety should be a priority. Your board certified plastic surgeon should be able to give you the best advice on multiple procedure and hospital stay. This should be an individualized recommendation.

In terms of blood thinner, many of us will only recommend it for a high risk patient and high risk procedures.

Stanley Okoro, MD