Swimming at Beach or Pool After a Tummy Tuck

How Long after a tummy tuck can you swim at beach or pool. I am sure the incision will have to be healed completly but just wondering. Can you go to the beach and just not swim? I have my TT scheduled for 6/27 and i live 10 minutes from the beach.

Swimming After Tummy Tuck

+3

Swimming after surgery should generally be avoided until all the wounds are healed. This usually means three to four weeks after surgery. It's Ok to shower during this time but we don't want your incisions under water until all the incisions have closed completely. It's Ok to go to the beach during this time but not under water. We also ask patients not use hot tubs or saunas two weeks before and after surgery. Sometimes saunas and hot tubs have bacteria which, if they get on your skin, can interfere with the healing process.

How long to swim after a tummy tuck?

+3

I agree with the other surgeons. As I no longer use drains and I dress the wounds with dermabond, the wounds are essentially water tight. In these cases I am comfortable to allow my pateints to immerse in still water (properly chlorinated pool, bath) after 2 weeks. I would not recommend sea water til at least three weeks.

Mark D. Epstein, MD
Stony Brook Plastic Surgeon

Swimming after tummy tuck

+2

Follow your surgeon's advice.  There are several elements to consider;  Getting into calm water probably OK about two to three weeks after procedure when drains are out and skin healed.  Getting into ocean waves and swimming for exercise involves much more movement of musculofascial anatomy that has been rearranged, and therefore, should heal at the structural level before applying stress.  This means collagen deposition and fibroplasia, which occurs over months. My advice is to be safe, and listen to your body.  Pain is a warning sign, listenand obey.  Anything you do that hurts is a signal to rest, or proceed with caution.  Of course, any and all instructions from your surgeon supersedes any and all advice you get here.

Steve Laverson, MD

Swimming after tummy tuck/abdominoplasty

+2

If you want to take a dip in a chlorinated pool, all drains must be out and the incisions well healed. For the ocean, probably best not to venture into the water for 4-6 weeks. Why?  I treat tummy tuck patients like hernia repair patients (if they have muscle repair). If you slip or twist too much/too fast you may disrupt the muscle repair and get an unsightly bulge. All swimming puts you around slippery surfaces, so be careful. ALSO, the skin on the abdomen is frail and more susceptible to burning (like a facelift). So be very cautious about getting sun on it. Best of luck to you. 

James E. Chappell, MD

Swimming after tummy tuck

+2

Swimming is strenuous activity.  I do not recommend any heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks after a tummy tuck.  Please talk to your PS about his/her recommendations.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Swimming after a tummy tuck

+2

How long after a tummy tuck you can go swimming will depend on the type of tummy tuck and on your recovery.  If all goes well in terms of healing, most patients can start swimming at 4 weeks or later.  Most of the reason for this is the need to wear a compression garment for about 4 weeks.  If you heal uneventfully you may feel comfortable swimming lightly at around 4 weeks but for most patients this would still be pushing it.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Swimming after Tummy Tuck?

+2

You will find that your operating plastic surgeon will advise you regarding specific activities depending on how you are progressing after surgery. Best to follow his/her advice as opposed to online consultants'.

Best wishes with your upcoming surgery.

Swimming after Tummy Tuck

+1
Thank you for your post.  In general, your incisions need to be perfect, all drains removed and the drain site healed perfect, and the muscle repair needs to be mature with no areas of fluid collection.  If the incisions are not perfect, or drain site, then you are at risk of infection in pools, hot tubs, oceans/lakes.  You don't have to have perfect incisions to shower, just not submerge in bath or the above.  However, I ask my patients to wear their abdominal binder non-stop, except for showers, for at least 4 weeks, so unless you want to hang out at the beach with your binder, then no beach.  
Best Wishes, 
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Swimming at beach or pool after a tummy tuck?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! On average, a period of approximately 3-4 weeks on average is typical. Submerging in stagnant water, be it bathtubs, jacuzzis, pools, lakes, oceans, etc. can certainly increase your chance for infections. I usually await the incisions to be fully healed prior to allowing for this type of activity. If you do have any wound issues or delayed healing, expect that you will be restricted from doing such things. However, I allow my patients to shower and clean incisions at 3 days postoperative.  You should also protect your incision from UV light to optimize the appearance if your incision. Regardless, the answer will vary amongst plastic surgeons and you should discuss this with your surgeon and follow his/her instructions. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD