Swimming at Beach or Pool After a Tummy Tuck

How Long after a tummy tuck can you swim at beach or pool. I am sure the incision will have to be healed completly but just wondering. Can you go to the beach and just not swim? I have my TT scheduled for 6/27 and i live 10 minutes from the beach.

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

When can use women after tummy tuck?

+3

Swimming or getting wet after surgery is something that you will have to discuss with your plastic surgeon.  Each plastic surgeon will have a slightly different postoperative regimen.

While the incision itself in tummy tuck is usually water sealed in about 48 hours most surgeons, if they use a drain would not let you swim until the train comes out.

The incision is only part of the story.  In tummy tuck a skin that has been elevated from the abdominal wall and pulled tight needs a chance to stick down once again in its new location.  If the skin does not stick down you can develop what is known as A seroma a cavity.

In my own practice I usually like to see about one are two weeks of a flat abdomen with no fluid collections before I allow my patients to swim or liberalize their activity.  This can vary from anywhere between 3 to 6 weeks in most cases.

Be sure to check in asker plastic surgeon his or her preferences.  Best wishes.

Web reference: http://www.atcosmetics.com/abdominoplasty/index.html

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Swimming After Tummy Tuck

+3

Swimming after surgery should generally be avoided until all the wounds are healed. This usually means three to four weeks after surgery. It's Ok to shower during this time but we don't want your incisions under water until all the incisions have closed completely. It's Ok to go to the beach during this time but not under water. We also ask patients not use hot tubs or saunas two weeks before and after surgery. Sometimes saunas and hot tubs have bacteria which, if they get on your skin, can interfere with the healing process.

Tummy tuck, recovery, exercise, swimming

+2

After a tummy tuck, how soon you go to the beach depends on your surgeon's post op regimen and how much activity you plan to do while sitting at the beach.  New incisions should never be placed in the sun for at least 90 days.  They are unable to handle UV light and can get red and swollen.  As for swimming, it depends on sutures used (technique) and level of activity in the water.  A safe rule of thumb is try gentle activity at 4 weeks and progress to very active swimming at 6 weeks.  Never go in a pool, the ocean or a bathtub until your surgeon has checked the abdominoplasty incision and tells you it is completely healed.  Small, transparent subcuticular sutures that may be sticking out could be a root of entry for bacteria.  Remember, don't take unnecessary changes and ruin the great job your surgeon did.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

How long to swim after a tummy tuck?

+2

I agree with the other surgeons. As I no longer use drains and I dress the wounds with dermabond, the wounds are essentially water tight. In these cases I am comfortable to allow my pateints to immerse in still water (properly chlorinated pool, bath) after 2 weeks. I would not recommend sea water til at least three weeks.

Stony Brook Plastic Surgeon

Swimming after tummy tuck

+2

Follow your surgeon's advice.  There are several elements to consider;  Getting into calm water probably OK about two to three weeks after procedure when drains are out and skin healed.  Getting into ocean waves and swimming for exercise involves much more movement of musculofascial anatomy that has been rearranged, and therefore, should heal at the structural level before applying stress.  This means collagen deposition and fibroplasia, which occurs over months. My advice is to be safe, and listen to your body.  Pain is a warning sign, listenand obey.  Anything you do that hurts is a signal to rest, or proceed with caution.  Of course, any and all instructions from your surgeon supersedes any and all advice you get here.

Web reference: http://www.feelbeautiful.com

Swimming after tummy tuck/abdominoplasty

+2

If you want to take a dip in a chlorinated pool, all drains must be out and the incisions well healed. For the ocean, probably best not to venture into the water for 4-6 weeks. Why?  I treat tummy tuck patients like hernia repair patients (if they have muscle repair). If you slip or twist too much/too fast you may disrupt the muscle repair and get an unsightly bulge. All swimming puts you around slippery surfaces, so be careful. ALSO, the skin on the abdomen is frail and more susceptible to burning (like a facelift). So be very cautious about getting sun on it. Best of luck to you. 

Swimming after tummy tuck

+2

Swimming is strenuous activity.  I do not recommend any heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks after a tummy tuck.  Please talk to your PS about his/her recommendations.

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Swimming after a tummy tuck

+2

How long after a tummy tuck you can go swimming will depend on the type of tummy tuck and on your recovery.  If all goes well in terms of healing, most patients can start swimming at 4 weeks or later.  Most of the reason for this is the need to wear a compression garment for about 4 weeks.  If you heal uneventfully you may feel comfortable swimming lightly at around 4 weeks but for most patients this would still be pushing it.

Dr Remus Repta

Web reference: http://aaaplasticsurgery.com

Swimming after Tummy Tuck?

+2

You will find that your operating plastic surgeon will advise you regarding specific activities depending on how you are progressing after surgery. Best to follow his/her advice as opposed to online consultants'.

Best wishes with your upcoming surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tummyTuck.htm

You can swim two weeks after a tummy tuck depending on how well you feel.

+1

I tell my patients they can go to the beach one week after and they can swim two weeks after a tummy tuck as long as the incision is completely healed. This depends on how well you feel, listen to your body if you feel strong enough and well enough you need to use your best judgment. This will vary from patient to patient. 

Web reference: http://www.lorenc.com/abdominoplasty-tummy-tuck/